• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

AI versus hotel

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by Janie88, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Saxonjd

Saxonjd Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    LOVE the Pork Shank there! All other dishes are really good too.

deepsea21 likes this.
  2. ggunn

ggunn ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I assume they have seafood? It's what I mostly live on for dinner when I am there.

3. deepsea21

deepsea21 Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Yeah, at Cieleto (closed when this pic was taken as at night there will be tables set up all under the awnings) order 1 pork shank and ask for a 2nd plate as it is more than enough for 2. Give the left over shank to one of the local dogs that will be working their rounds after dark and coming to visit ya if ya sit outside. Casa Cuz's second story thatched roof is just to the to the right. Another great place, especially during Covid as you can walk upstairs, pick a table, turn on all the ceiling fans ya want and dine in the open air. This is 1 block from the Casa Mexicana and Tres Pelicano's dive shop.

Geeze, it's only been a little more than a month and I want to go back already.

Capture.JPG

Trailboss123 likes this.
  4. Saxonjd

Saxonjd Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    They do , but I’d say heavily meat centric. Some fish and shrimp dishes as well as ceviche and some Mexican vegetarian options.

5. Janie88

Janie88 Contributor

Thank you for the suggestions on restaurants. I am going to start a list and maybe another thread with recommendations on places to eat. That will make me feel more comfortable booking a hotel or other non-AI if I know of places to go walking distance for dinner. I am usually tired after multiple dives, especially 4 daily dives, and go to bed early. I am no night owl and at home usually get up at 5:00a and in bed by 9p. I know it is strange to many people but the way I like it lol.

Trailboss123 likes this.
  6. ggunn

ggunn ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

I normally go to bed late and get up as late as possible to get to work, but when I am on Cozumel I am up at or before dawn an in bed before 10PM. Go figure.

I would not dismiss out of hand any restaurants on Cozumel that would be better reached by cab from your hotel if you are staying in or close to town. Cabs are plentiful and cheap. I am thinking primarily of El Moro and La Perlita, both of which are near the top of my list. Walking to either from Casa Mexicana, though possible, isn't something I'd want to do.

Janie88 and Trailboss123 like this.
  7. jonhall

jonhall Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    This is not an endorsement - only sharing a link from an email received today from Dressel Divers.

Cousteau Cozumel Special Packs 2021

The price is per person. I don't really know what a good price is right now for deals like this, although I know people can probably do it for less through other means and years of experience in planning Coz trips. I looked to see what something similar to Iberostar in the same travel window would cost me using my timeshare - found I could pay $199 for 7 nights in hotel unit at the Allegro or Occidental with the AI fee between $880-$924 for 2 people ($1080-$1124 total for 2 people and of course some other mandatory fees totaling about $100) but that price DOESN'T include any diving.

8. rick00001967

rick00001967 Tech Instructor

9. Rose Robinson

Rose Robinson Contributor

Janie,

Speaking only from personal experience, and not having anything in particular to do with Cozumel,

Some ''pay as you play'' hotels are not as inexpensive as they first appear, because every time you turn around , someone is asking for your credit card.

As an example, a few years ago, I paid over $1000. for four of us to have dinner...and it wasn't anything close to lobster/caviar and Dom.

By the end of the trip, when all the credit card receipts were tallied, Sandals, would have been less expensive. Your dives alone at a ''hotel'' could be well over $100 US per outing per person. Where at Sandals, your two tank morning, two tank afternoon and often night dive(s) are all included, as is NITROX.

Up front costs are always better than ''continual extras'' and not necessarily ''more'' expensive.

LOL,

Rose

living4experiences likes this.
  10. Janie88

Janie88 Contributor