Aiming Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquakiwi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm looking at two aiming lights, the Fantasea LED 44 or the Sola Focus 500, I know there is a big price difference, but which is brighter/better? Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't buy either. I have done my experimenting with focus lights and I am over them. There is too little time, unless you are doing macro on something not moving, to adjust the bloody focus light for every shot or change of angle. I reckon you need a torch for night diving and if you want a focus light for dark shots the one on my flash is more than adequate for this job.

Would love to hear of others using them a lot as I can't get used to farting around with them.

In 2008 i brought a Nocturnal focus light 300i.I upgraded to the 800i bulb kit in 2010 with great results.Have 2 bulbs on wide angle and one narrow with no hotspots in photos.The unit worked very well in the dark engine rooms on the ship wrecks of truk last year.Not cheep but you get what you pay for!!

I have both lights, the Sola 500 is many times brighter, but it does cost more. Either light is much better than not using a focus light at all.

The Sola light is wide enough where I've personal never had to aim/adjust the light when shooting macro.

Ardy - I definitely agree, having to adjust a focus light (ones with a narrower beam) can be a real pain! - Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom