Air embolism with empty lungs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Water_is_my_blood

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Physics/physiology of air embolism is easy to understand. Ascent from few meters without breathing out is well enough to kill you. How about if you breath out everything you got at lets say 10m depth and ascend holding your breath? Air volume goes in lungs goes 1xVolume to 2xVolume. Residual volume (the volume of air remaining in the lungs after a maximal exhalation; adult male) is about 1.2 l. So 2 x 1,2 = 2.4l if you hold breath during ascend from 10m with "empty" lungs. Total lung capasity is 6 l. So you should be fine? Or does holding your breath somehow obstruct your lungs to expand? Do we know exact mechanism how air embolism happen? Does air embolism happen only when total lung capasity exceeds total lung capasity?

Of course this is just theoretical question. I am not gonna try this. I am MD so this kind of stuff is interesting for me. Not a native speaker so I hope you understand what I am trying to ask :)

Here is a better previous thread.

See my post in the related thread. I think the fundamental mechanism of air embolism is poorly understood and more likely related to microbubble formation than overexpansion.

Physics/physiology of air embolism is easy to understand. Ascent from few meters without breathing out is well enough to kill you. How about if you breath out everything you got at lets say 10m depth and ascend holding your breath? Air volume goes in lungs goes 1xVolume to 2xVolume. Residual volume (the volume of air remaining in the lungs after a maximal exhalation; adult male) is about 1.2 l. So 2 x 1,2 = 2.4l if you hold breath during ascend from 10m with "empty" lungs. Total lung capasity is 6 l. So you should be fine? Or does holding your breath somehow obstruct your lungs to expand? Do we know exact mechanism how air embolism happen? Does air embolism happen only when total lung capasity exceeds total lung capasity?

Of course this is just theoretical question. I am not gonna try this. I am MD so this kind of stuff is interesting for me. Not a native speaker so I hope you understand what I am trying to ask :)
With the strong caveat for readers to not try this at home, yes, that's correct. Residual volume is roughly 1 liter, so if a compressed gas diver exhales to residual volume (which is difficult to do) at 10 meters and ascends with a closed glottis, the lungs will double in size and will not reach sufficient volume (with concomitant pressure increase beyond total lung capacity) to cause barotrauma.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom