Air integrated dive computer brands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For recreational diving, which brands seem to be the 'work horses' of the industry? I'm not interested in the prettiest or fanciest. (But because I'm 57 years old I DO like the computers with large displays!) Which brand seems to be most reliable for the long haul?

Even if you prefer an SPG and a wrist computer (so not air integrated) - which brand wrist computer do you rely on?

I'm 59, i like Suunto Cobra, don't bother with the digital compass upgrade its a pain. The quick release option is worth the money. I use stick-on bifocals in my mask.

The Shearwater Perdix AI has a lot of fans on SB. I use its predecessor (and non-AI) model, the Petrel. Large display, easy to read, easy to navigate menus. Shearwater has a reputation for responsive customer service, and their posts on SB have been full of great information. If I were going to buy an AI computer, I would go for the Perdix.

Reliability is difficult to rate, since there isn't a lot of data available. I haven't noticed complaints of a particular brand that just seemed to die after a few years. If you comb through SB, you can find a few complaints of computers failing, but who knows what percentage of units sold those constituted. I hope my Shearwater gives me years of trouble-free operation, but who knows. My 10 year-old Suunto has never given me trouble, yet a few years ago I recall reading several complaints of depth sensors failing on Suuntos.

Although to some on Scubaboard, the thoughts of a hosed AI computer borders on heresy, I have an Oceanic ProPlus 3, and I really like it. It will do everything that I need (or likely ever will need), and it has a large easy to read display.

hoseless: suunto is most popular by far, but the oceanic ones like the atom/vt are more common stateside. shearwater perdix ai is the techreational option.

hosed options then also add the atomic cobalt and oceanic proplus. they seem to be popular for offering the largest font size.

i dive a petrel. can't justify the cost of the perdix ai.

The Galileo series has been very popular up here since it is easy to read and it is quite intuitive. You can go AI or non-AI.

Hoseless: I think now that everyone's sold out the last of their dg03s and tx1s and atom3s, perdix ai is within $100 of any other offering (not counting eon steel) so there really is very little reason to buy anything else. Shearwater's service dept does have a reputation for long haul care and feeding.

having just looked at them for another thread, of the AI computers with the "nice" screens, read "non-casio watch" style screens, the Shearwater is actually the cheapest. On top of being the best, and most fully featured.

the other brands i'm aware of
Suunto *recommend against due to algorithm as well as the technology used in their transmitters being less reliable*
PPS *makes Oceanic and Aqualung* and if you want the fancy screen, then I recommend against those as well though if you are going the less expensive option and are OK with the Casio screen, then go that route
Scubapro, very expensive, so not a good value compared to the Oceanic at the lower price point, or Shearwater at the high price point

SUUNTO, 8 years running, 400 dives, no problem.

PPS *makes Oceanic and Aqualung* and if you want the fancy screen, then I recommend against those as well though if you are going the less expensive option and are OK with the Casio screen, then go that route

:) (having just look at it elsethread) which ones? i450t is $1200 w/ transmitter as is OCi. As is perdix ai at DRiS & DGX. All you get is Casio screen for the same price.
(OK, it does give you longer battery life off of a coin battery, but as you point out yourself, with any aa-sized battery and standard din o-ring in the shearwaters that's pretty much a non-issue.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom