Air integrated or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrramsey1969

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Getting back into diving and researching gear. In my old dive gear I had a Scubapro TRAC. I liked the features it had as well as being air integrated. I like the console computers as that's just what I am accustom to. I am not a huge fan of wireless devices just because it is yet one more point of failure.

There seem to be pretty slim pickings for a hose attached air integrated computer these days. The three that I have interest in are the Sherwood Wisdom 3, the Atomic Colbalt 2 and the Sunnto Cobra. Would I be better served by a non integrated computer and an SPG?

wireless transmitters are actually very reliable now days, that being said the air integrated computers and non integrated are usually less money. It all depends on your budget and what kind of display you would like. My older eyes like the color displays, but the Suunto cobra3 served me well for my first 200 dives with no issues. Someone here on the board explained it well the other day. Its like buying a car, that little subcompact would work for ya but like most you might desire that cool corvette or mustang instead. but what you really needed was a work truck!

What do you want it to do? I use a Cobalt 2. I like my dive computer to automatically log my start & end pressures for the dive, and I like to download my computer's log into my desktop computer's logging software (MacDive) to maintain my dive log.

I need A.I. to do that. Do some non-A.I. console computers offer PC download capability?

Richard.

The reason that console computers are relatively rare these days comes down to a couple of factors IMHO:
1) Reliability - Wireless AI is actually getting very, very reliable so a lot of manufacturers are going that route.
2) The general preference for a computer (AI or otherwise) now seems to be wrist as it is easily checked while still looking in the direction of travel and while maintaining good trim.

I have done the vast majority of my diving to date with SPG/ Non AI computer - it works and there is nothing inherently wrong with it but having recently gone down the route of an AI computer (Perdix), I would not want to go back. I still have the SPG on but that may go in future when I feel I have sufficient confidence in the AI (I know of a number of divers with considerably more experience than me who have gone AI and removed the SPG).

What do you want it to do? I use a Cobalt 2. I like my dive computer to automatically log my start & end pressures for the dive, and I like to download my computer's log into my desktop computer's logging software (MacDive) to maintain my dive log.

I need A.I. to do that. Do some non-A.I. console computers offer PC download capability?

Richard.

"What do I want it to do" vs "What do I need it to do" - Yeah that IS the question. I do admit I am a bit of a stats nerd and that computer nails it there.

I use a non inegrated computer with SPG. Works fine for me. Mainly because getting transmitters for stages, etc. would be too costly and would offer no benefit as far as I'am concerned. However, other people consider AI as the main important feature on their computer.

As mrramsey said: what do you need it to do? If you answer that question you can answer the question if AI is usefull or useless.

AJ:
I use a non inegrated computer with SPG. Works fine for me. Mainly because getting transmitters for stages, etc. would be too costly and would offer no benefit as far as I'am concerned. However, other people consider AI as the main important feature on their computer.

I will give you that one but do see your point with staging. I am primarily speaking of no deco dives, so just the one transmitter in my case.

@mrramsey1969 even on basic deco dives I would probably choose AI if I was big into statistics on my dive. In backmount it makes a lot more sense and if I primarily dove backmount I would have a Perdix AI and transmitter right now.

Most of my diving is in sidemount which means 2x transmitters, and most of that diving is also done with stages which is another 2. It can't handle 4, but 4 is also very expensive.

In your case, if you are one for statistics, I'd get a Perdix AI with transmitter and call it a day. You'll get more information than you will ever get from the computers above except maybe the Cobalt, but you'll have a lot more features and flexibility that the others just can't offer. At $1175 it's priced in the middle of the lot for what you posted, but for what it can do, it's in a completely different league
Cave Adventurers - Perdix AI - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

Spoken for truth, I LOVE my Perdix AI.. It is great for single tank vacation diving, back mount doubles diving, sidemount diving... Great great computer and system..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom