Air or Nitrox as a diluent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what's the deco penalty of doing it in OW though? obviously I'm coming from a cave perspective where it really matters.

30min 200ft wreck dive 15/55 dil
50% and 100% deco gases

15/55 BO gives you about 5 or 6 mins more deco vs 18/45 BO
you save about 9 mins on a BO ascent if you're willing to bail to 21/35 (many people treat that as a 218ft MOD)

I'm back and forth on the Air vs Nitrox to 30m/100ft ... (STRICTLY RECREATIONAL DIVES)

One on hand, you have a nitrox mixer on your back (or side), so why pay the extra $$ for a little extra O2?

On the other hand .... having a gas near your set point means less O2 to inject ...

Regarding DIL(OUT) ... I'm a standard gas kinda diver ... using the 'next deepest' gas for your planned depth (or expected depth) is my way of diving ...

So ...

"Recreational" <30m dive - Air/32%
30-45m dive - 18/45 (not a fan of 21/35 on CCR ... too limited of a range in use unless you get rid of the Air/Nitrox for shallower dives ... so might as well just go straight to 18/45)
45-60m dive - 15/55

Deco for 21/35 and 18/45 are close enough, that if your diving in a mixed team to say 39m, it isn't going to sway much either way (on 1.2 setpoint)

_R

Back
Top Bottom