Air pocket in underwater tunnel at the Grotto, Tobermory?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwilliam

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I've heard that people successfully dive without equipment and swim through the underwater tunnel under the Grotto in Tobermory. I've been told that there's an air pocket that people stop at partway in order to do this. Is this true?

I have dove this and seen many people do it without equipment. I did not see an air pocket. The grotto is just so small they can swim through quickly.
There are also 2 entrances one is longer and deeper the other shallow and short.
All-in-all pretty cool dive.

I do not remember of any air pocket.

I am fairly certain that it is NOT an air pocket but a point that is accessible from the land.....i.e. swimmers can either walk into an area above the surface where they can jump into the water in the caves OR they can jump into the water from the outside edge on the lake and then swim into the cave via one of the two underwater entrances.

"Air Pocket" would (for me anyway) imply that it is a closed ceiling and what is up there is simply trapped air from divers exhaust......

No air pocket. I free dove through the tunnel no problem last summer... And I'm in pretty bad shape.

Dave

Awesome - thanks for all of your replies. If anyone else did see one, please let me know (in either entrance) :)

Its a pretty cool experience, no dive equipment needed for the grotto as far as I know, goggles and fins are good.
Theres a pool inside the cave, you can see a blue light in the water, thats the exit to the other side, its not far but take a good breath!! Its very cool!!!

I was just there last week. There is a sort of diving bell mounted to the ceiled at arounf 30 ft maybe. There is also a tunnel that goes around the back of the cavern that takes you to depths of near 100 ft. I can't iagine doing this with out SCUBA and a good dive light as the tunnel itself is not lit. You could free dive the cavern though without equipment. All in all it's a pretty cool dive... but cold... I was pretty chilly after 30 minutes in a 3mm suit.

There is also a tunnel that goes around the back of the cavern that takes you to depths of near 100 ft.

REALLY?? Is this from inside the grotto/cave itself? I have been in there several times and never seen that. Where is that entrance in relation to the two short holes to the little room with the air pocket/ground entrance)? You have to swim quite a distance away from shore to hit 100' of depth so if it exists, it is a full blown cave system that should not be attempted by anyone without proper certifications/skill/experience. I had previously heard that there was actually a cave diving spot in that area (but never got details) so maybe this is what you are referencing.

---------- Post added July 9th, 2013 at 12:26 PM ----------

I find it awesome that a relative "local" gets schooled on local sites by someone from as far away as AR. That is what I love about diving.....you can do it all over and experience a million different things that may be missed or overlooked by others.

I was just there last week. There is a sort of diving bell mounted to the ceiled at arounf 30 ft maybe. There is also a tunnel that goes around the back of the cavern that takes you to depths of near 100 ft. I can't iagine doing this with out SCUBA and a good dive light as the tunnel itself is not lit. You could free dive the cavern though without equipment. All in all it's a pretty cool dive... but cold... I was pretty chilly after 30 minutes in a 3mm suit.

Sounds like you are describing Blue Grotto in Williston Florida,not the Grotto in Tobermory Ontario.

Back
Top Bottom