Air sharing on ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, it takes a bit of salemanship to get them to try it the first time. Once they try it though it is very common for the diver to be an instant long hose convert.

The only problem with the longer hose is that it tends to get entangled on the snorkel...Well I admit I still use the snorkel, it is a bit like a security blanket for now, I guess I am not ready to get rid of it yet (it may have something to do with the fact that my air consumption is still so high...).

However I noticed that if I keep practicing 'unwinding' the hose around my neck during air share with a wider swoop I can avoid this hassle.

I can see why so many divers do not use it, though.

to add to the good advice you've already gotten:

1. practice this skill at the beginning of your quarry dives not the end in case of ICBMing to the surface

2. when you first donate to the OOA diver take a full minute at depth to get sorted out: position, trim, neutral buouyancy, calm attitude. the emergency is over, no need to rush, after everyone is settled there should be a non-eventful ascent.

3. make sure in your gas planning you have enough rock bottom to bring you and your buddy to the surface, and include this one minute in your gas planning. if "rock bottom" is an unfamiliar term to you, do a search here and you will be greatly rewarded.

It's been quite a while since I've worked with a standard length hose, so forgive my confusion...

how so? It seems like the length of the hose will only dictate hose close together you must remain, not what position you're in. If you can share air vertically, couldn't you both rotate your bodies to horizontal, the donor's valve and the recipient's head the axes of rotation?

Awesome illustration, hose length is the same in both pictures:

49139d1219694321-air-sharing-ascent-1.jpg

i'm not diving with someone who's using red hoses blackwood. :no:

Last week my buddy and I practiced air share at a depth of 21 feet. I was also testing an AIR2 Ladyhawk BC and Man! It was hard to deal with the AIR 2.

This is one of the most challenging things I have learned to work with as well. Please keep up practicing the use of the AirSource 2 if you are going to continue diving with one as your alternate. This basically requires you to remove the mouthpiece while exhaling to vent the BCD if you don't have a dump valve on the right shoulder. I've heard that the AirSource 3 is redesigned so that this may not be required, but I have not worked with one to know for sure, or how it does this.

Also to note is that your primary hose is (probably) shorter than the standard octo hose, so being very close is necessary.

Once on the surface I tried to orally inflate the BC and it was another nightmare. The surface was choppy and small waves kept splashing on my face. But the biggest problem was being able to keep the valve under the AIR 2 closed with my hand. It was almost impossible. I managed to get some air in the BC but not enough to keep my head completely above the water. After several attempts I gave up and pressed the inflator button. In a real emergency situation I bet that it would have been really difficult not to get stressed out and keep the situation under control.

This is simply something that you have to practice to get down. Using your fins to kick up to gulp air in, then slide back down as you inflate the BCD. Practice this in calm conditions first and then work into the rougher conditions.

If all else fails, remember that in a real emergency if you can't orally inflate the BCD to dump your weights to get positive on the surface!

Some great discussion here...thanks to all contributors.

Another point for consideration is that with a panicking diver it may be best to skip the safety stop. I am assuming here that this a no-stop rec dive, and that while a stop is highly desirable it is not be essential. Imagine trying to hold a stop with a badly panicking diver! The best place for them is on the surface with their BC well inflated (you may have to orally inflate it for them, or drop their weights).

For those using standard length occy hoses I would give strong consideration to putting a swivel on the reg. This allows the reg to be donated to a diver in virtually any position. I know DIR advocates would say this adds an extra failure point into the system, but I have used them for many years without any problems. It definitely makes air sharing very much easier (and therefore safer). Even though I personally use a 5ft hose I still have a swivel on it. Have shared on three or four occasions and it works very well.

Another point for consideration is that with a panicking diver it may be best to skip the safety stop. I am assuming here that this a no-stop rec dive, and that while a stop is highly desirable it is not be essential. Imagine trying to hold a stop with a badly panicking diver! The best place for them is on the surface with their BC well inflated (you may have to orally inflate it for them, or drop their weights).

Good point, but on the other hand, if they have managed to get to the safety stop, I doubt that he/she will still be panicking! :wink:

And the SS may just be the step needed to further calm a person down. Nothing like a nice pause with a few skills to concentrate on. This focuses the mind. I have known of divers panic after surfacing (strange as it may seem!)

A safety stop is just another redundant safety measure and may not be necessary. However, as this is practice at this point, practice it.

However, as stated by BD, it may be a good idea to skip the SS if necessary.

I would also practice the drill vertical because that is the position most will assume in a stressful situation and also with a "pick-a-buddy" dive. If you get it down pat with the wife and go on to horizontal, just remember in the real world you'll have to be open-minded enough to adapt to the situation.
Great post!!!

This is one of the most challenging things I have learned to work with as well. Please keep up practicing the use of the AirSource 2 if you are going to continue diving with one as your alternate. This basically requires you to remove the mouthpiece while exhaling to vent the BCD if you don't have a dump valve on the right shoulder. I've heard that the AirSource 3 is redesigned so that this may not be required, but I have not worked with one to know for sure, or how it does this.

Also to note is that your primary hose is (probably) shorter than the standard octo hose, so being very close is necessary.

This is simply something that you have to practice to get down. Using your fins to kick up to gulp air in, then slide back down as you inflate the BCD. Practice this in calm conditions first and then work into the rougher conditions.

If all else fails, remember that in a real emergency if you can't orally inflate the BCD to dump your weights to get positive on the surface!

Thanks for the info.

At the end I scrapped the idea of getting a BC with an AIR2.

I bought a DSS back plate and wing with a normal 16 inches inflator hose and a longer hose for my primary second stage and I have attached my octopus to a necklace made of medical tube, instead.

It works far better for me.:)

For those using standard length occy hoses I would give strong consideration to putting a swivel on the reg. This allows the reg to be donated to a diver in virtually any position. I know DIR advocates would say this adds an extra failure point into the system, but I have used them for many years without any problems. It definitely makes air sharing very much easier (and therefore safer). Even though I personally use a 5ft hose I still have a swivel on it. Have shared on three or four occasions and it works very well.

I decided to use a 5 Ft hose too. I have been practicing air share with it that just few times so far (got a cold and for 4 weeks I could not dive). It still feels a bit cumbersome unwinding the hose from my neck but, as other divers have mentioned here, it is just a matter of practicing the drill to 'death' and I will be fine!:)

Two days ago I finally saw the kind of bubbles that I am supposed to follow during the ascent that everybody is talking about! Hallelujah!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom