Air storage: Valve question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cappyjon431

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am currently facing one of the toughest problems I have faced running a dive operation in a remote location.

My air storage (cascade) system is comprised of three Bauer 444 cubic foot tanks (they have "Bauer" embossed on the tanks). The tanks are due for hydro (no problem, I can have this done in Panama City), but the valves are starting to go bad. They are Sherwood valves. Apparently there are no high pressure valves in Panama to replace my existing valves.

I contacted Bauer, but they do not sell replacement valves. They referred me to PSI and I ordered three replacement valves. PSI was very helpful and they shipped the valves to me almost immediately.

Unfortunately, when I received the new valves, it was visually evident that the ports on these valves were too big to fit into my bottles. This was confirmed when I tried to install the valves, they were simply too big.

This is where it begins to get difficult. I contacted PSI (numerous times) through email and they have refused to get back to me. I am not looking for a refund (it will cost me more to ship the incorrect valves back to PSI than it will to have the proper valves purchased and shipped here), but PSI has not returned my emails. I just want the right sized valves.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I might get the proper sized valves? My situation is difficult because I am in a very remote area of Panama and I don't have calipers to measure the size of the original valves nor a method for determining thread count. I don't want to order the wrong size valves again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post the numbers stamped on the tank, some pictures would help too; there's a number of people inn here that could identify those tanks based on the numbers. once you know what tanks you have finding proper valves should not be an issue (at least in mainland US).

Yes, exactly... post pics of the original valves too. Also, there may be markings on the side of those valves....lets see those as well.

It sounds like you are talking about the NPT thread that screws into to the cylinder that is too large. If this is the case then you were shipped ones with a 3/4 in. NPT oversize thread and you require a standard 3/4in npt thread. I see that you have 2 options, one you can try and aquire the correct size valves or you can just transfer the valve parts from the new units to your old valve bodies, they should be an exact fit but compare just to be sure. If you wish to replace the valves you should be able to order a CGA347 cylinder valve with 3/4 inch standard thread through a local gas supply company. You can also check the Sherwood web sight and order from them.
good luck.
ZDD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom