• Welcome to ScubaBoard


  1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

    Benefits of registering include

    • Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

    Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Air Tahiti won't allow cancellations even though travel is banned

Discussion in 'The Pacific Islands' started by diversmith, May 5, 2020.

  1. diversmith

    diversmith Nassau Grouper

    # of Dives: 500 - 999
    Location: Henderson, Nevada
    76
    27
    18
    I booked thru Costco travel before everything clamped down and now travel is banned for another month thru the end of May. Air Tahiti won't refund the full amount so we were forced to pay a $500 cancellation fee for our 2 tickets. Unbelievable!!!! Our departure date was supposed to be May 26.

    Oh sure...pay the full price and wait to see if they go bankrupt, or allow travel when we can't (have kids in school) or can't get a place booked where we want to stay on Rangi. That's a HUGE gamble to take with about 4 grand on the line!

    Total ********!!
     
    kelemvor likes this.
  2. letterboy

    letterboy Eww poors ScubaBoard Supporter

    44,592
    48,003
    5
    We had trouble with air europa at the off set of this,we were actually schedule to fly an hour before travel from Europe was restricted. They said they wouldn't give us our money back because the flight left as planned...

    Long story short a month later we finally got vouchers for the full cost of the flights round trip.

    I'm ok with the voucher because we are planning to go again when things open. And if I understand it correctly air europa got bought out by a different airline....

    All that to say, don't give up, and continue to talk to them, email is good because there is a trail and they have to put things in writing.
     
    ScubaWithTurk likes this.
  3. chris kippax

    chris kippax Divemaster

    # of Dives: 500 - 999
    Location: Australia
    702
    505
    93
    We are hoping for a $4000 refund from Air Tahiti. They last stance was the flight still may go so if you cancel you lose the lot. Flight is scheduled for June 26th.
     
    letterboy likes this.
  4. letterboy

    letterboy Eww poors ScubaBoard Supporter

    44,592
    48,003
    5
    That was air europa stance.

    The flight left and you weren't on it.

    It didn't matter to them, in the beginning, that we would have been trapped there as mid-flight travel restrictions returning home went into place.
     
  5. CaveSloth

    CaveSloth Manta Ray

    # of Dives: 50 - 99
    Location: The Deep South
    585
    195
    43
  6. Ministryofgiraffes

    Ministryofgiraffes Loggerhead Turtle

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Toronto
    1,400
    1,246
    113
    Why wouldn’t you just wait for them to cancel the flight and claim your full refund then?
     
    Ontwreckdiver and ontdiver like this.
  7. ontdiver

    ontdiver Solo Diver

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: Ottawa, Ontario
    300
    133
    43
    ...or ask for a voucher for future travel?
     
    Ontwreckdiver likes this.
  8. letterboy

    letterboy Eww poors ScubaBoard Supporter

    44,592
    48,003
    5
    The issue becomes what happens if they go bankrupt, as is a worry for all airlines these days...
     
  9. ontdiver

    ontdiver Solo Diver

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: Ottawa, Ontario
    300
    133
    43
    Absolutely, and some airlines will fail. And based on the limited details provided by the OP, it appears that they didn't have travel insurance.
     
    letterboy likes this.
  10. Ministryofgiraffes

    Ministryofgiraffes Loggerhead Turtle

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Toronto
    1,400
    1,246
    113
    which would undoubtably be accelerated if they start throwing the agreements out of the window and issuing preemptive refunds..

    obviously a difficult situation for all involved and I’m not saying the OP isn’t due a refund, but I also feel agreements need to be honoured on both sides. ‘Avoiding runs on banks etc’ .is there no recourse with Costco as they were, in essence the travel agent?
     
    letterboy likes this.

Share This Page