Air Wenting from wing??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaG

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have just recently started diving SS BP with a Halycon 55# wing with doubles. I have had some trouble wenting air from the wing at shallower depts. Is the a way or technique to went ALL of the air form the wing cause there seem to be small pockets of air left trapped?

Also I find some times the air inside the wing (the inverted U shape effect) moves from one side to the other, effecting trim & balance. Is there any way to prevent this?

ScubaG:
I have just recently started diving SS BP with a Halycon 55# wing with doubles. I have had some trouble wenting air from the wing at shallower depts. Is the a way or technique to went ALL of the air form the wing cause there seem to be small pockets of air left trapped?

Also I find some times the air inside the wing (the inverted U shape effect) moves from one side to the other, effecting trim & balance. Is there any way to prevent this?

Welcome to doubles!

My first thought is that given the warm waters you are diving in a 55 lbs wing maybe on the too big side. Can you try / borrow a smaller doubles wing?

All the usual caveats about proper weighting apply here too, but with a set of doubles you wil be dealing with a larger weight swing just do to the weight of the gas.

Best fix is to dive more.

Tobin

ScubaG:

What kind of doubles? Hard to say if your wing is too big or not.

I generally vent through the rear dump (located back left), and if necessary, just rock my head up a bit to get air up to the collar then around to the left. Doesn't take much IMO. Rear dump vents faster than inflator dump, so use small pulls and "listen" for how much you're dumping.

ScubaG:

ScubaG,

Also give it some time. Especially when there is not much are in your wing, pull the cord a little bit longer. And of cause keep your head down.

Gr.,
D

DOXA:
ScubaG,

Also give it some time. Especially when there is not much are in your wing, pull the cord a little bit longer. And of cause keep your head down.

Gr.,
D

Yeah, the more I dive them the better it gets. Also I saw a GUE instructor going in a slightly head down position while wenting air. That explains it.

Cheers for the advice to all.

G.

ScubaG:

Try using the butt dump and failing that take on a position that will move the air the the inflator hose. Either way give it a couple of seconds to actually find it's way there. The air basically just takes longer to move around than it did with your old BCD.

The thing about the air moving from side to side is something you'll be able to use to your advantage when you start carrying stage bottles. You'll be able to move the air where you need it to keep you horizontal.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom