Airfare, ugh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've yet to go to Bonaire (first trip is booked for December) or any of the nearby islands, so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but it looks to me like if flight prices are a lot lower to Curacao or Aruba, you can get a reasonable flight between the islands to get to Bonaire. I understand that's less appealing than flying directly in, but it could save a couple hundred dollars. Does nobody do this?

When I was looking at Bonaire last summer (2018) the air fare was only about $100 more to go to Venice Italy

I've yet to go to Bonaire (first trip is booked for December) or any of the nearby islands, so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but it looks to me like if flight prices are a lot lower to Curacao or Aruba, you can get a reasonable flight between the islands to get to Bonaire. I understand that's less appealing than flying directly in, but it could save a couple hundred dollars. Does nobody do this?

The trick is to get there in one day and preferably before the dive shop closes. You may be able to find cheaper tickets that include 48-hour travel time with a drive from Newark to JFK and a night in mainland Honduras, but is it worth it?

When I was looking at Bonaire last summer (2018) the air fare was only about $100 more to go to Venice Italy

I can sit in coach for four hours during an afternoon flight. Eight hours overnight and you will see me passed out on the floor when it's time to land. I have only done coach to Europe once, and that was with a stopover in Iceland.

The trick is to get there in one day and preferably before the dive shop closes. You may be able to find cheaper tickets that include 48-hour travel time with a drive from Newark to JFK and a night in mainland Honduras, but is it worth it?
Oh, I agree, but it seems like there are a handful of people here who want to go to Bonaire and flight price is what's stopping them. Adding an island stop makes the travel worse, but seems like it would open up the destination.

I, of course, have no idea where in New York you are, but you can fly non-stop RT from Newark to Bonaire (4 hours out, 5 back) on United, Saturday to Saturday.

So you say. I had a flight booked from Albany on United. Several months later they cancelled my flight and put me on another that went Albany to Newark to Huston to Washington to Bonaire. Coming back it was Bonaire to Newark (overnight layover) to Albany. Eff United. That's the third time they changed my flights and routed me through Huston. I'll never fly them again. Nor will I drive to Newark.

If you go through Aruba going back home you go through customs there instead of a huge line in some US airport.

So you say. I had a flight booked from Albany on United. Several months later they cancelled my flight and put me on another that went Albany to Newark to Huston to Washington to Bonaire. Coming back it was Bonaire to Newark (overnight layover) to Albany. Eff United. That's the third time they changed my flights and routed me through Huston. I'll never fly them again. Nor will I drive to Newark.
That sucks. They have had the Newark direct flight for better than a decade though. Only reason I know that is my first experience of "why do I have to connect through f'ing Newark from Phoenix to get to Bonaire?" Continental used to have a redeye that I loved for getting me on the island right about sunrise.

Back
Top Bottom