Airlie Beach Dive Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cadiver17

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone, new to the board but hoping to get some help. My wife and I are planning a trip to Whitsundays in August and are looking for recommendations on sites and outfits to dive with there. Can't decide whether its worth it to head to the outer reef or just dive around the islands. Any recommendations for specific ones to check out? Thanks in advance!

Bear this in mind please...

The authorities and operators are still assessing the damage to the reef, so at this point it is very hard to give advice on where to dive around the Whitsundays. Additionally, due to damage done to businesses, there's still uncertainty about who exactly will re-open and when. My best suggestion is to just get in contact with all the dive ops in Airlie Beach, find out who is even still open, and go from there.

What level divers are you? The reason I ask is that Whitsunday diving is unique because it usually combines over night stays on sailing vessels around the islands, so its pretty good diving, but you get to experience the sail boat experience too.

Personally, I would look at eitehr an overnight sailing option (loads of great companies!) to get the best of both (the day trips are OK, but nothing to write home about Whitsunday Dive Centre is one of the better ones) or if you have some dive experience then travel couple of hours north to Alva Beach (near Ayr) to dive the wreck of the Yongala. Lots of posts about it here and arguably one of the best wreck dives in the world.

Thanks for the help guys. I recently started diving so only have 11 dives under my belt and my wife is a bit ahead of me. I had read a few of the threads about the Yongala wreck so was thinking maybe about that. We'll only be there for a few days so not sure if the overnight will work but will check out the shops in Airlie. Will keep you posted as to what I find out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom