Airlie/Cairns cruise port dive help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob Teichman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We will be on a cruise ship arriving in Airlie on 23 April at 7:00am and departing at 4:00pm (probably need to be back at the ship by 3:00pm). The next day, 24 April we arrive in Yorkeys Knob at 7:30am and depart at 8:00pm (again probably need to be back at the ship by 7:00pm). We are both open water certified and have dived within the past few months. My questions are:

Is there enough time to take a dive trip in Airlie?
If yes, would it be better to dive there or Yorkeys Knob and should we dive at both stops?
Can you recommend dive centers to use? We will need to rent full gear.
Can you recommend specific dive centers that would cater to cruise ship passengers and provide transfers to/from the ship?

Can you recommend specific dive centers that would cater to cruise ship passengers and provide transfers to/from the ship?
I've dived twice on a cruise, I look at what dives the cruise was offering as an excursion then booked direct with whoever they were using at half the price.

I've dived twice on a cruise, I look at what dives the cruise was offering as an excursion then booked direct with whoever they were using at half the price.
Unfortunately the cruise has no diving excursions. Only snorkeling

Unfortunately the cruise has no diving excursions. Only snorkeling
I reckon you can do a day trip in Cairns. I think Airlie is less likely. Do you know who does the snorkelling trips, it's entirely possible the operator does a dive option. If you're in Cairns, the snorkelling will also be on the GBR, so don't see why you can't dive.

Hi Rob
I Don’t know much about the diving around Airlie but I can speak for the diving around Yorkeys Knob.
As with much of the North Queensland coast the visibility is poor and you need to get to the outer reefs where the diving is very good. There is a large operator at Port Douglas, Quicksilver, that takes lots of divers out each day to the outer reefs. They have buses running up the coast from Cairns to Yorkeys to Port Douglas collecting tourists, dropping them at the port, and then returning them at the end of the day after the boat returns. I don’t know the schedule but they should have a good website with this information.
I hope this helps.

You may be cutting it a bit fine but if there is a group from the cruise ship who want to dive and / or visit the reef then the cruise ship might work in around the Quicksilver itinerary. Bot are large tourism operators and should be in touch with one another regarding activities for guests.
If the reef trip doesn’t work out then I can highly recommend a day trip to Port Douglas. A small pretty village north of Yorkeys Knob (half hour by bus) with a lovely long beach and excellent restaurants and gift shops.

Hi Rob. I am Cairns local and Airle Beach is way to far. 8 hrs drive south!

Cairns is closest about 20mins from the Marina.

Boats depart 8 to 8.30 so really you will be pushing it to check in at the marina on time.

Look at a few options here but you would really need to make sure you were there 8am latest. Drop me a PM as can try to help.

Only real way to get to the Outer reef with less stress is a half day trip on Evolution where you catch helicopter out midday and back in land 4.30.

Airlie, unlikely as the ships anchor out in channel and you need to take tender/boat to shore. Also, there was no operator there in 2017 due to damage from Cyclone Debbie.

Hi Rob. I am Cairns local and Airle Beach is way to far. 8 hrs drive south!

Cairns is closest about 20mins from the Marina.

Boats depart 8 to 8.30 so really you will be pushing it to check in at the marina on time.

Look at a few options here but you would really need to make sure you were there 8am latest. Drop me a PM as can try to help.

Only real way to get to the Outer reef with less stress is a half day trip on Evolution where you catch helicopter out midday and back in land 4.30.
I sent a PM (I think)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom