Airline travel with scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boatr

New
Reaction score
# of dives
My Fiance and I were recently certified and I am trying to figure out the setup to bring two sets of gear to Belize for our honeymoon. I have yet to purchase scuba bagage so any suggestions would be helpful. We would like to take all our own gear except for weights and tank. Also, it would be nice for this setup to accomidate two sets of cold water gear for the two of us for a weekend trip to So California. Here are my requirements:
- Carry two sets of cold water gear
- Airline friendly
- ability to lug around between islands/mainland

Just use regular luggage--the ugliest and lightest weight you can get. And put everything you value most in your carryons. pack clothes around and in dive gear. You can leave home some of the cases you use at home.

My Fiance and I were recently certified and I am trying to figure out the setup to bring two sets of gear to Belize for our honeymoon. I have yet to purchase scuba bagage so any suggestions would be helpful. We would like to take all our own gear except for weights and tank. Also, it would be nice for this setup to accomidate two sets of cold water gear for the two of us for a weekend trip to So California. Here are my requirements:
- Airline friendly

First, make sure it doesn't have anything like a dive flag on it. All you are doing is advertising that there is expensive gear inside.

Any luggage that will hold your gear works. I like a hard bottom rolling duffle with big sturdy wheels.

Most people take the essentials as a carryon. I take my rx mask, computer, and O2 analyzer in my carryon. My BP/W, regulator, exposure suits, spare mask, fins, and whatever other doo hickies get checked.

I carry my gear in a $49 American Tourister bag from Walmart. It weighs 9 pounds empty (which is what the "lightweight" SCUBA bags weigh) When I put all my gear (BCD, reg, wet suit, booties, fins, mask, snorkel, boat bag, save a dive kit) and my toiletries in it is right at 50 pounds so you might need a bag for each of you. I put my clothes (you wont need much) and camera in my carry on. Take insect repellant to Belize!

I've been using an Akona wheeled gear bag. Really like it, side pockets for fins, fits everything I need.

The problem is the airlines' restrictions are getting so bad: extra charges for second bag, weight limits, etc. Recently I've been hit with extra charges and I'm getting tired of it!

I just packed for my next trip last night and I've gone back to a large duffel that weighs a lot less the the Akona. Gear and clothes (very basic clothes, as I'll wash and reuse much, to conserve) in the duffel, and reg, computer, laptop, cameras, batteries in a compact back pack. I really had to think it threw, as to what I REALLY need, and what was nice but I could do without. It will work: less than 50# in the duffle, my gf's smaller wheeled Akona bag (so I can stack for transport), and 2 backpacks as carry on.

Of course by my next trip they'll probably come up with even more restrictions but I should be OK for now.

- Airline friendly
I have one of those great big backpacker style backpacks. In particular, I have the Gregory Denali Pro. It's huge. I can fit a lot in there. Plus, it wears very nicely. You can carry a log of stuff quite comfortably. For the airline, I put this bag into a big-assed duffle bag that is just as plain as can be. Besides protecting my expensive backpack and all its miscellaneous straps and whatnot, it also hides the fact that I'm chucking around a $450 backpack. So anyway - my strategy here is reducing number of bags, making my stuff easy to carry, and security.

You will not have any problem putting two sets of gear in this bag - and you will not have any problem lugging it around either. Your biggest "problem" will be stuffing it with less than the overweight fee limit. That's where this bag is helpful - no heavy wheels and hard case and such with this bag. Also, you can always check a second, smaller bag with clothes and stuff. Then, when you get to the destination airport, stuff that bag in this one, and carry it all in one shot.

I agree with others - avoid advertising that you've got any goodies (hence the plain canvas outer bag for checking it with the airline).

I do not check my regulators, dive computers, dive masks, strobe or underwater housing. That's just asking for trouble. Carry this stuff on the plane with you. Again, the Denali Pro is so big that once you get to your destination, you'll probably have room to consolidate stuff before leaving the airport and head out to taxiland or whatever - making your stuff easy to carry. Also, by having it on your back, it's less likely you'll walk off and leave your stuff, have someone else walk off with your stuff, or whatever - plus, it's easier to fight off porters who want to carry your bag and charge a fee - whether or not you want them to.

Attachments

• aHR0cDovL2NvbnRlbnQuYmFja2NvdW50cnkuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pdGVtcy9tZWRpdW0vR1JFL0dSRTAwMjcvQ0xSRC5qcGc=.jpg
    aHR0cDovL2NvbnRlbnQuYmFja2NvdW50cnkuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pdGVtcy9tZWRpdW0vR1JFL0dSRTAwMjcvQ0xSRC5qcGc=.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 121
I've never have been diving in the Caribbean, but I have been through a number of US Airports, as well as England, Netherlands, and Israel with my dive gear. In my carry-on I take my regulator set, computers, and mask, along with my cameras, precious stuff, and a set of clothes. My BCD, fins, extra mask (and in my PADI Instructor son's case - his wetsuit) are in check-in. Actually I do take my "backpack" scuba /boat bag along, but I pack/disguise it inside a K-Mart American Tourister roller bag.

I carry-on my Sherwood Oasis Reg set because I really love it/hate to lose it and I want a regulator that I can depend on (versus a rental of questionable service). By the way, almost all of the Security/X-Ray people recognized the Regulator set and did not blink an eye nor do they ask me to unpack anything.

drdaddy

I get by with a couple bags, a 'Tourister' large roller bag and a carry-on, which I check in also, since I usually fly Southwest which still lets you check two large bags and a carry-on at no extra charge. I have a small doctor's leather bag that I got at a yard sale for a buck in which I take my radar detector, prescriptions, candy, a sammich and a couple other things. I don't carry-on my regs or other hardware anymore having lost the paranoia of getting them lost, stolen or damaged. I figure I can rent gear if need be. I also have gotten away from taking a lot of clothes which I don't need since I go south and only stay for a couple days where a couple pairs of shorts, skivvies, socks and tee shirts do the trick. If I need other clothes I figure that I can buy it. Less is more.

Like most people above I carry my regulator on board with me. My BCD, fins, and wetsuit are in a separate bag to my personal baggage. I so far have managed to not pay excess baggage for gear as I ask for it to be classified as sporting gear. Thereby they half the excess weight which is never much at all.

I carried my reg on board with me, and the folks at Kansas City freaked out about it... took it out, examined it, x-rayed it about 4 different times... I was like "dudes, it's a scuba regulator, hasn't anybody here ever seen one?" Eventually they passed it.

No problems coming back from Kona with it... apparently the people in Hawai'i have seen a scuba regulator before.

Back
Top Bottom