Airport Employee Power Trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea.... my mistake. I was thinking that baggage handling was now outsourced, like much of the aircraft maintenance now is. I wasn't thinking they were still employees. Wasn't Denver supposed to have a centralized baggage management system, instead of each individual airline?

Yeah, the system in the bowels of the airport that routes baggage is centralized, and highly automated, but airline employees still load and unload their planes.

Yea.... my mistake. I was thinking that baggage handling was now outsourced, like much of the aircraft maintenance now is. I wasn't thinking they were still employees. Wasn't Denver supposed to have a centralized baggage management system, instead of each individual airline?

I think it was originally touted as the most reliable & complex baggage handling system on the planet. Apparently it was a $600 million dollar failure ???

Is anyone else gob-smacked that plane maintenance is outsourced but bag handling is company employees?

Is anyone else gob-smacked that plane maintenance is outsourced but bag handling is company employees?

That's because baggage handling must be done on-site; aircraft maintenance can be done wherever the plane can be flown to. They are then flown to wherever the maintenance is most cost effective.

That's because baggage handling must be done on-site; aircraft maintenance can be done wherever the plane can be flown to. They are then flown to wherever the maintenance is most cost effective.

Except in really dire cases. When Heathrow's Terminal 5 opened with some state of the art baggage system, it went so catastophically wrong, they ended up shipping all the thousands of lost bags that had piled up to Italy so the mess could be sorted out. Because, you know, Italians are really organised and good at that sort of stuff.

Traveling too/from Indonesia, they have all kinds of weight restrictions. I bought a photographers vest with tons of pockets. I probably had 15 lbs of stuff in the vest when I boarded the plane. Before someone complains about this, I weigh 155 pounds and the vest was placed under the seat.
I do the same thing, sort of. After I get onboard, I just empty the vest back into my bag. As long as I don't take other passengers' overhead bin space, I don't see why anyone would care how much my bag weighs.

This past weekend in Aspen the woman giving instructions for the body scanner was unintelligible, at least to me... I walked in, placed my feet in the provided footprint, raised my hands in the position overhead as displayed and she continued to mumble something. So I turned to say what? And THEN she clearly says now I have to do it over since u turned your head :)

This past weekend in Aspen the woman giving instructions for the body scanner was unintelligible, at least to me... I walked in, placed my feet in the provided footprint, raised my hands in the position overhead as displayed and she continued to mumble something. So I turned to say what? And THEN she clearly says now I have to do it over since u turned your head :)
You had to do it again? Why? Because you can hide weapons in your head/hair? :p

Reactions: mbs
You had to do it again? Why? Because you can hide weapons in your head/hair? :p
Because the idiots don't know what they are doing, or why they are doing it. They are smart enough to follow a procedure, like a trained monkey, but when you get down to the root of the issue, they are no more than trained monkeys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom