AKR and CocoView together

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey

I'm a GIRL!
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

Been away from this forum for a long times since I got into tech diving. But this is still a great source for travel information :)
I'd like to go on a dive vacation (tired of cold water diving) to a hot climate. I thought about the Philippines but I can't seem to make the miles work. So I'm thinking about Roatan. Never been to that part of the Caribbean. We'd like to go for 2 weeks and I was thinking about doing a week with AKR and 1 with Cocoview. Main reason being that AKR is offering a very good deal that beats Cocoview's price. But I'd also like to have the unlimited shore diving and south side exposure.
Does this sound like a reasonable thing? We wantto dive and nothing else. I don't care about nightlife or excursions.

I can get us down there on airline miles so that's the big benefit. Just wondering if there is a better weay to spend the 2 weeks and still get 3-5 dives in a day. I'll recommendations to other locations that aren't expensive, too.
Bonaire is out. Been there twice and the reef is dead. Not going back. Already been tech diving in the Keys and now I want something relaxing and easy. Without being surrounded by a bunch of open water students and be forced to dive their profile.

Are you open to live-aboards? That'd get you 3 - 5 dives/day easily, and if all you want to do is eat, sleep and dive, why not?

Shore diving as an option brings a few possibilities to mind; St. Croix, Grand Cayman, Curacao. Enough people have likened Curacao diving to Bonaire's so maybe that's not what you're after.

Richard.

I believe that your two choices on Roatan (CCV & AKR) will give you the doorway portals into the the two main generalized reef structures and dive profiles that are available on the island. From each of these two first rate dive ops, you'll get a good representation of the differences between the West/North (AKR) and South (CCV) by utilizing to two truly inarguable (no excuses, ifs or buts) world class dive resorts.

I do love your Philippines yes sir. I call Hotel Atlantis Puerto Galera.the CoCoView of the SoPac....a divin' machine.

Are you open to live-aboards? That'd get you 3 - 5 dives/day easily, and if all you want to do is eat, sleep and dive, why not?

Shore diving as an option brings a few possibilities to mind; St. Croix, Grand Cayman, Curacao. Enough people have likened Curacao diving to Bonaire's so maybe that's not what you're after.

Richard.
I love liveaboards. But I want 2 full weeks of diving not 6 days. 2 weeks on a liveaboard for two people is not in my budget right now. I would assume that since the corals on Bonaire are dead, so are the ones on Curaçao due to the proximity. There are few places left with healthy coral and it's getting exponentially worse. I'm going with assumption that Routan still has some coral life left.
I prefer boat diving on advanced sites. But the option of shore diving is nice.

I believe that your two choices on Roatan (CCV & AKR) will give you the doorway portals into the the two main generalized reef structures and dive profiles that are available on the island. From each of these two first rate dive ops, you'll get a good representation of the differences between the West/North (AKR) and South (CCV) by utilizing to two truly inarguable (no excuses, ifs or buts) world class dive resorts.

I do love your Philippines yes sir. I call Hotel Atlantis Puerto Galera.the CoCoView of the SoPac....a divin' machine.
That's kind of what I was thinking. I haven't ruled out the Philippines but I don't have 200,000 miles in my account. I'm short due to having just used a bunch to go to Spain, twice in less than 1 year. The flight costs added to the diving is making it a bit prohibitive but I'm still looking.

When we were shore diving there (same dive as from Coco but done from Fantasy Island), vis was good only in the mornings and late afternoon and night diving was crappy. So we had no choice but to dive at around 5:45 am, before the breakfast and the 1st boat dive. This gave us 4 dives per day. We kept the same schedule at Utila, the difference being that sometimes we added the 5th dive at night cause vis was excellent all day round there.

When we were shore diving there (same dive as from Coco but done from Fantasy Island), vis was good only in the mornings and late afternoon and night diving was crappy. So we had no choice but to dive at around 5:45 am, before the breakfast and the 1st boat dive. This gave us 4 dives per day. We kept the same schedule at Utila, the difference being that sometimes we added the 5th dive at night cause vis was excellent all day round there.
What made it crappy? I'm used to diving in 20-30 ft of viz in 40 degree water :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom