AKR and CocoView together

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP is traveling from Alaska so travel to the Caribbean will be a big issue for her. I know that she is looking for beautiful coral reefs and warm water, but Cabo San Lucas and the Sea of Cortez would be easier to get to from Alaska than to the Caribbean and maybe it offers some of the things she is looking for?
Cabo diving is great but there is no shore diving and they do only 2 boat dives per day. This is clearly not what this guy wants. He wants 5.

Cabo diving is great but there is no shore diving and they do only 2 boat dives per day. This is clearly not what this guy wants. He wants 5.
I'm a girl :)
I have 2 Mickey and Minnie tattoos on my ankles. That's why I picked that name for my avatar. And yes you are correct about a lot of diving. Thanks.

Hey Zoid, I've found we're normally in the same boat, but on this I beg to differ. On that particular trip we actually enjoyed AKR more than CocoView. I don't want to get into a big comparison as the OP is looking to do both so she'll get a chance to make her own call. We enjoyed both stops. Just want to put out there that opinions vary. Surprise, what else is new. :)

Interesting. I would love to see a side-by-side trip report from the OP, as these are two of the major dive resorts on Roatan, and everyone wants to know how they compare.

Good to know, thanks. We did a liveaboard out of Cabo so we got lots of dives. I don't have any experience with the land-based dive ops.

We did that in Saba. Did a week on the liveaboard and then a week just on Saba. It was fantastic. I will look at Utila too. I'd forgotten about the recommendation.
Not going to Egypt at this point. My husbands had to spend nearly 6 months in Saudi for a work related operation and the Saudis told him, with no reservation, to stay away from those areas. We had actually planned a big trip to Egypt just before the craziness broke out back in 2010?. I have no desire to go to the Middle East at this point.

We did something similar. We did a few days on St. Martin, then the liveaboard trip to St. Kitts and Saba and then got off the boat and spent a few days on Saba before flying back to St. Martin; it was a great trip.

I am glad that we went to Egypt back when we did, the Red Sea is beautiful and it is a real shame that people are afraid to travel to that lovely and fascinating country.

Last edited:
Good to know, thanks. We did a liveaboard out of Cabo so we got lots of dives. I don't have any experience with the land-based dive ops.
This is a national marine park, so they have lots of regulations. They can't leave a boat at the beach, so every morning they drive their boat with the gear on a trailer to the beach, unload it in the water, then divers hop in and they take off for 2 dives. Coming back, they load the boat back on the trailer and tow it to the dive shop. I'm not surprised they do not want to go through this hustle twice a day.

However, there is excellent snorkeling to the south at Plaia Arbolito and at the next bay where we got to sea lions. It was a long swim, ~45 min one way, but totally worth it. On the way, we saw eagle rays, a huge school of lookdowns, etc. So it was not like we spent the 2nd half of the day drinking cerveza.

Last edited:
I'm a girl :)
I have 2 Mickey and Minnie tattoos on my ankles. That's why I picked that name for my avatar. And yes you are correct about a lot of diving. Thanks.
Oooops! Sorry, your avatar is not very revealing. But why spend 30 hrs getting to freaking Roatan if you can get to Kona in 8 hrs?! You can fly to Australia in 30 hrs.

Oooops! Sorry, your avatar is not very revealing. But why spend 30 hrs getting to freaking Roatan if you can get to Kona in 8 hrs?! You can fly to Australia in 30 hrs.
6 hours. But I'm tired of Hawaii. Was going there every winter for awhile. Spent the last 2 years going to Spain. We like to travel outside the country.

6 hours. But I'm tired of Hawaii. Was going there every winter for awhile. Spent the last 2 years going to Spain. We like to travel outside the country.
You can't get tired of Hawaii. I've spent half year (cumulative) diving in Kona and will go again anytime:)

We did something similar. We did a few days on St. Martin, then the liveaboard trip to St. Kitts and Saba and got off the boat and spent a few days on Saba before flying back to St. Martin; it was a great trip.

I am glad that we went to Egypt back when we did, the Red Sea is beautiful and it is a real shame that people are afraid to travel to that lovely and fascinating country.
Well, I was considering it after seeing the liveaboard prices. But like the Philippines, I need 200,000 miles!
I'm pretty sure we are going to settle on Roatan.
You can't get tired of Hawaii. I've spent half year (cumulative) diving in Kona and will go again anytime:)
Well, I got tired of it. Unimpressed with the reefs. They are under too much pressure. Done some great dives on Oahu, especially tech dives. But Kona isn't doing it for me anymore. Plus 2 dives a day is too little and expensive compared to other places. Time to venture back out of the country.

Back
Top Bottom