AKR incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laurenceh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
does anyone have any details re. the "incident" that occurred with AKR divers on Sunday?
i'm not looking for rumor or speculation, i've already heard that on the jungle telegraph down here. looking for hard facts. i know it was a 70+ year old canadian woman, looking for details of the incident itself. cheers

Last edited:
She was a 72 YO from Canada, experienced diver(700+ dives). They were diving Mary's Place. I do not believe they have recovered the body yet. The report I heard was that the DM and another diver chased her to 200 ft when they had to turn around and she was still going down. Obvious speculation is that she had a heart attack and was already dead when they chased down after her. Both the DM and second diver did a stint in the chamber at AKR as a precaution. Very sad day and thoughts for the family and AKR team.

Not precisely about the diver and the diving incident, but more a view about how the "official story" is being portrayed....

I read the above article, the fairly accurate translation, and then looked at CONSECO's historical alert record for that day.

Interesting (and seemingly absurd) that the boat crew is liable, per the news article, for violating a "yellow alert" from CONSECO". It is a governmental agency that we would liken to a combination of the National Weather Sevice plus Civil Defense.

From the CONSECO website, after reading of the "Yellow Alert" conditions for that day, we can observe more about the Kafkaesque nature of Honduran "Law".

The relevant "yellow alert" that they posted related to high winds caused by a cold front "Norther" which warned of winds in excess of 50mph- and that this was part of a small craft advisory.

On days like that, AKR and more deep pocketed West End ops move their boats to dive on the South side. AKR has Southside dock space, the few other West/North ops that can actually take divers around to calmer Southern waters bring the divers there and back in the dive boat. This is where the term Vomit Comet comes from, contrarily, AKR busses their divers around to meet their boats moored in the calm protected South.

In that Mary's Place is within a few yards of the protected Southern shore of Roatan, it seems a real stretch for CONSECO or LaPrensa to place initial blame on the Boatsmen, especially for an incident that we might assume occurred during a dive in progress- not due to an entry or exit.

Again, not about the incident, but about Mary's Place.....

Mary's Place has evolved into one of those "must do" dives because for years it was "off limits" due to environmental concerns and scientific studies. Similar to the allure that was enjoyed by the former limited distribution of Coors beer, the unavailability of it causing desire far outstripping it's actual value. Combine that with the frequent and ongoing violations of the former site closure by many secondary dive ops, the local marine preservationists rolled over under pressure from the money. Mary's Place was reopened for diving. The Bay Islands Aggressor used to moor illegally for days and often tear out the mooring which was not designed for tgat tonnage.

It's agreement for use stipulates time slots for required moored dives. Hint: if you're on any dive boat that doesn't tie up to the one mooring can (at the start of the dive) they are screw-ups, not gallant DMs who are going above and beyond. You are diving with a crappy outfit, period. And it does happen, quite often. Look up and see live boats plopping unknowing clients to crash down onto the 40' sand top.

The dive is NEVER to be done as your first dive of your visit, it is to be done only after you've had the briefing and your abilities for good neutral buoyancy have been observed. This also isn't followed as some pirates will take cruise ship divers there. If you watch some groups, if it wasn't so destructive, it would be entertaining.

From the mooring pin in 45FSW, you meet up and head SSE to the reef break. At 35 below that, the group is supposed to meet up at the Mary's Place entrance at 77FSW. I believe there is a sand bottom at 125'.

A lead DM begins the tour, setting a slow pace. The "end DM" sends waiting divers on command to follow. Since they all have been at 75' for a few minutes, most finning a bit to stay at 75', they usually go like hell and complain because the diver ahead of them is kicking them in the mask :wink:The 2nd DM brings up the rear.

Again, if you don't have two DMs or trusted guest divers who have been there more than 15 times, they're doing it wrong. The number of lifetime dives is not relevant. A real DM has to be at the start, only he knows the proper pacing, whether divers are about to fin like mad or not. A guest diver who has intimate prior experience with Mary's Place may be selected to lead the conga line. This guest diver is not the guy studying the dive site map, he knows the route without doubt.

As they follow along in the line of divers, after 200' swim, at 85' there's a hard left South. (here's where many assigned "experienced" lead guest divers screw the pooch and lead the group straight West ahead and out into the blue with a 300' bottom) So....make the correct left and follow a narrow ascending slot, culminating in a 5' diameter swim through in 60' that 82.5% of divers clonk the short overhead span with their first stage. The exit quickly follows at about 54'. Many divers go cork here. Bad idea, the dive is about 1/2 over in time, although most divers are at 1350PSI.

That's the place, and when you turn right West ascending to 35' to follow the wall NW, that you are hovering over 3,000 feet of blue. I've seen a lot of sharky-sharks there, off in the blue.

More than one diver in history has descended into the abyss at that point.

This latest incident was X'd off of TwitAdvisor lest we frighten the gentle readers.

Mary's Place holds its charms because of its architecture. It has a shape, a dramatic shape, unlike most of the rest of Roatan's reef structure. There is some rare critters residing within, rarely seen and impossible for a DM to point out, even if only very few have requisite skills to find them. Some of the most extraordinary diving is just nearby, including an 85' long overhead environment that is what you might call "snug", lying hidden nearby in a 35' depth. Lots of other cool features, but Mary's Place is done step-by-step, start here, follow me, get out here.

It's an interesting enough dive, but the Reefs of Roatan have much more to recommend than this quick blip to 85' where most clamber aboard at 900psi and damned near out of air. Whew, we made it.

Last edited:
FYI - I posted some info in the accidents thread.

Doc - you are correct about a lot of what you posted. On the day in question the winds were whipping the NorthWest up. The waves were 6-8 ft, but like you said everyone diving had moved there boats to the South side and the South side was fairly calm( 2ft ish swells). I know I have dove the South side in those conditions. I do not think the conditions played apart in the accident.

Also - great description of the dive site.

Posts about the dive site in the Accidents and Incidents thread are getting kicked back here. Better to continue that discussion here.

Posts about the dive site in the Accidents and Incidents thread are getting kicked back here. Better to continue that discussion here.

It's a puzzling Forum to me, the Accidents and Incidents section. I know how it got created historically and the conjecture ridden hysterics that will always fertilize it. There seems to be one OP for many of the threads, I am told that there's a special Google Vulture search that will crawl the web for that kind of industry specific news. Possibly the OP was displeased with this digression and acted in a predictable manner. Rules is rules.

I think that reading through that entire A&I thread (as I had, and encourage any poster to always abide) with a critical eye, with a good grasp of the very very few known facts available....I'm not sure what posters are thinking about, but there are myriad explanations in social psychology. The worthy posts of the one other diver who was actually present also described a physical dive site geography that conflicts with my recollection. Not to denigrate, because certainly nothing he stated was fatal or destructive to the overall known fact set, but it just didn't match with my "personal reality" of the dive site, so it made my head itch.

Facts get exceeded and thus facilitate a thread's longevity. The experience base of the follow-on poster is also an issue...the thread diversion to the awesome challenge of Devils Throat in Coz, they were certainly not well versed in the E Ticket ride of NorthEast Tobago, much less NE Grenada. (And that's just using the Caribbean as a base of reference!) The Dunning Krueger effect on display.

The main thrust of any of my posts in reference this incident are in hope to allay fears of inbound visitors, to demystify and hold the Bogeyman at bay. All the while, explaining the precise nature of the particular dive in physical detail, hopefully to be understood by visiting divers.

All in all, I rather enjoy the character of posts that I find on the Bay Islands Forum, although we are derided (by Mods) as a bit rambunctious and argumentative, I prefer to engage in such conversation with "you guys".

I have much the same rant about the Blue Hole in Belize, but I've learned that facts are not as much fun as getting your log book stamped.

Last edited:
It's an interesting enough dive, but the Reefs of Roatan have much more to recommend than this quick blip to 85' where most clamber aboard at 900psi and damned near out of air. Whew, we made it.

I assume you are being sarcastically funny. People don't actually think that at 900 psi they are nearly out of air, right? That many divers doing this dive with such poor SAC rates and dive skills? I wasn't sure if you were just being sarcastic or if it really does attract such inexperience. Morbid curiosity on my part. This doesn't sound like a particularly difficult dive except for the vacation divers around you who can't maintain buoyancy. Or have I misread your post? Sorry if I did.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom