AKR TRIP REPORT (Nov 14 - Nov 21)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It has been a week since I returned from AKR and a trip report seems overdue. Overall, Roatan as a diving destination exceeded my expectations and so did AKR. The diving was fabulous even though weather wise this was the worst season to be there. Visibility was fifty feet and there were occasional showers. Still we had a lot of fun. AKR exceeded my expectations in all areas except one. I will try to go over the pros and cons so bear with me.

GETTING THERE:

Flights to Roatan are easy to find as there are connections available from Miami as well as Atlanta. My flight was from DC to Atlanta to Roatan. Atlanta airport is a nice place to spend three hours waiting for your plane. Plenty of shops to kill time in. Once you get on the plane to Roatan everyone is a diver. I had the pleasure of meeting some great people on the flight and though they were not heading to AKR we still exchanged phone numbers and I am looking forward to diving with them.
Once you land at the Roatan airport things may seem a bit chaotic. It is a small one room lounge where everyone is dragging their luggage. Baggage is crowding the place and you will find yourself jumping over bags to get from one place to another. A lot of dive bags look exactly the same so I would strongly advise that you put a name tag on your bag. I ended up dragging someone elses bag only to realize that they are going to the same resort so even if I had taken it with me it would have ended up in the same resort. Still … please tag your bag.

AKR people are there on the spot. The moment you come out of customs they are there to take care of your luggage. They will start piling it on the curb. If it seems a bit crude and haphazard, do not worry. They have narrowed it down to a science which they understand very well. Soon a truck will come and you will see your bags being loaded on it. I did not have to wait for long before an AKR bus came and all of the AKR guests boarded the bus. It was a good 20 minute ride to AKR and on the way I learnt that AKR is the biggest resort on the island, capable of hosting 120 people. They are definitely the big boy on the block with Coco View being second with 75 guest capacity?

WELCOME:

The outside of AKR looks more like a prison compound with barbed wire fence and a gate with a sentry. Once you go in you will find yourself in a lush green tropical jungle paradise. We were instructed to go up the stairs to the lounge for our cocktail and welcome as our luggage will be taken straight to our rooms. This is another reason why it is important to put name tags on your luggage. Without those the AKR people will have no idea where to take your luggage and you will have to do it yourself.
We were greeted by Yolanda who gave us maps and explained where everything on the resort was situated and how they plan on serving us. It is important to listen to this briefing because AKR offers a whole lot other than diving. They have wake boarding, Kayaking, tours to another island, fish identification presentation, picnics, dance nights, shark dives, dolphin dives etc. Most of it is free! During this briefing you will be given forms to fill out which will have your departure flight information. It is important to be accurate about this because they will plan on taking your luggage with your minimal involvement and this information that you will fill out on your forms is all they will have.

ACCOMMODATION:

Various kinds is available. My dive buddy and I were first led into an ocean side room with no AC. It was November and was not uncomfortably hot and if we had stayed in that room it would still have been fun but we realized that we had an upgrade. Soon we were taken to a hillside room with AC. The hill side rooms are a climb but they have a wooden stairs that connect hillside rooms to dining area and main lobby so it was not too bad. You do not have to carry your luggage as they do it for you. The rooms have all the luxuries of a low end hotel room with fresh towels, shampoo, soap and daily room service. This was a pleasant surprise to me because I had lived in Utila for a week and all I had was a bed with a single pillow and rotating pedestal fan! This was luxury compared to what I had in Utila.

DIVING OPERATION:

If ease of diving is what you seek then I do not see how things can be easier. They carry tanks for you, assemble the gear for you and pamper you like anything. On the first day of your dive you will be assigned a gear locked right next to the boat. Your gear goes in it after the dive and it picked up from there the next morning. AKR is not about shore diving. They have a shore diving site but the place offers 3 boat dives a day so that satisfies most people’s appetite for daily diving. AKR has a very large boat fleet so on your first day you will be assigned a boat. Each boat goes out 3 times a day so you have to go to the chalk board and put your name on the boat for the dives that you plan on going that day. Everything is very systematic and methodical.

If you are diving nitrox then it is 120 USD for the whole week for unlimited nitrox. Their nitrox fill station has tanks and analyzers so you are required to analyze, label and then leave your tanks. Once analyzed you will find them already loaded on to your boat wondering how they got there. The magic of diving here is that things get done for you.

Boat rides are short and you always come back for surface interval.

DIVE SITES:

November was a bad time of the year for Roatan and I wish I had known that before I left. The vis was crappy by Roatan standards 40 – 50 feet and there were only a couple of days when the sun was out. Overall Roatan did not have the never ending steep walls that Utila had but nevertheless, its bottom topography was awesome. There were so many swim-throughs and reefs that it was truly an amazing experience. Almost every dive site presented us with different topography. Marine life included, usual reef fish with turtles, eels, lobsters, groupers and a spotted ray.

Wreck dives were also fun. We did the Odyssey and the Aguila and they were great wreck dives.

Shark dive: This was the highlight of the trip for me. The sea conditions were very rough and we were told that they were about to cancel these dives but since most people were experienced, they went ahead with it. It was a long boat ride and when we jumped in, the current was strong. We literally had to pull ourselves down using the horizontal line but it was still a lot of fun. Sergei and Marcos were awesome and we had a lot of sharks.
They make you sit down in two lines and the sharks are already there the moment they hear you splash. Before opening the bucket of chum, divers have a chance to free swim with them. When you settle down, that is when they open the chum bucket and the sharks go crazy. Amazing experience.

DINING:

If there was anything that this place can improve upon then it is food quantity. It is not buffet style so you choose a soup or a salad, followed by a main course followed by a desert. The main courses were fine dining quantity and not fast food quantity or what some of us normally eat. I understand that I eat slightly larger meals so I thought that I should not mention this in my trip report but I was not the only one feeling undernourished. I found some other people literally haggling with the waiters for more food and they were eventually served, but with reluctance.

I made two trips to West End and ate the way I wanted to. While we were told that there is crime and the barbed wire fence was an indication of that, people that I came across were exceptionally friendly. The best meal that I had was grilled chicken in West End and the whole meal costed no more than 10 USD and it was fast food quantity that I am used to.

If serving portions could be increased then this place would leave absolutely nothing to be desired.

CONCLUSION:

Roatan is an amazing place to dive. The underwater terrain, corals and bottom topography made it worth my while. AKR is an amazingly run establishment and I am glad that I met some great people there. I must confess that I only went there because they were offering the TWO FOR ONE special and had the price been the original price then I would go somewhere elsefor that money. For my next trip to Roatan, I am more inclined to stay at the West End and use some of the cheaper accommodation and dive packages that are situated right in the hustle bustle of West End. Splash Dive Inn seemed like an interesting place. The street food that you buy at West End appeals to me more than the fine dining sized portions I had. You also have the choice to buy whatever you would like to eat rather than be at the mercy of the chef. If you like an all inclusive place where all decisions have been made for you then AKR is the place to go.

untitled.jpguntitled2.jpguntitled3.jpguntitled4.jpg

Good trip report. I find your comments about the quantity of food interesting as I have been to AKR before(but it has been a few years). However we are taking friends to AKR in January (same as you- hard to pass up the 2 for 1 deal) so I will get to see first hand how it compares to the last time we stayed their.

Going into West End was a good move - you got to experience one aspect of the island outside of the resort.

If you go back, do stay in West End or rent a condo, just be aware of your surroundings (crime happens on Roatan just like any city/island/ etc.) make sure you spend a few days diving the South side of the islands as it is different from the North/ Northwest you dove with AKR.

It has been three years since I was last at AKR. I don't remember the issues you experienced with the food. My waiters just brought more if I asked for it. I guess things have changed.

Thanks for this enthusiastic report. Though I am surprised that you weren't aware of potential weather issues in November. I'm reasonably certain it has been addressed numerous times.

Be that as it may,I've spent many November weeks in Roatan over the years. Some times wet, sometimes dry, consistently nice dives.

You ate at Rotisserie Chicken, me thinks; one of my favorite places in West End. :)

Great and thorough report!!!!
We went to AKR in May this year, and I would agree the food seems to have slipped from prior years, and was just ok. I think my husband felt hungry too (I don't eat much so not a good judge of portion sizing).
One other thing to note is that the dive boats do take about 12-14 guests out and can be a bit crowded and usually have 1-2 DM for that group. We have stayed there multiple times and like the rooms on the key and the pool out there.
One more thing, depending on the time of year the sandflies can be particularly fierce.

Finally there is a lovely Thai restaurant in west end too!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You ate at Rotisserie Chicken, me thinks; one of my favorite places in West End. :)

I believe so. They were grilling their chicken outside and it looked good.

Nice report!

AKR vs CCV:
The dramatic walls are only on the south side of island, where Cocoview is located. Ditto the great shore diving.
Cocoview has 24 rooms, I think, and no kids allowed, so much smaller than AKR.
Cocoview also has all meals as buffet food, help yourself and as much as you want of anything with the exception of lobster night, when they ask you to only take one. People are free to go back later for a second if any are left. Most people arrive at same time for dinner, so the food is very hot. They also cater to special diets and will fix any meals with that in mind. Our first trip there a gentleman had a condition requiring very bland meals, no spices at all... they fixed him a separate plate each meal, cooked for him special. You can do that when resort is smaller.

Next trip to Roatan, we might try the go to AKR instead of CCV, but at the same price the unlimited shore diving in front of our room at CCV... don't know if I could talk my husband into it.

Hmmm... so you want them to lower the food quality and increase the portion size?! HA. That is probably an unexpected request to them (though apparently not the portion size). Sounds like maybe they are going beyond fine dining portion size. Cutting back on food seems a funny way to save money since it is directly obvious to your customer. Swimming takes lots of energy. Fine dining portions are funny because I often look at them and think it looks pretty puny but after eating the entire portion, it turns out to be enough. But to each their own. I've often thought about running a restaurant where I didn't give people three days worth of food on a plate I often get here but also charged less. I think it would work in Europe but not sure everyone would grasp the improved value proposition here.

Nice report!

AKR vs CCV:
The dramatic walls are only on the south side of island, where Cocoview is located. Ditto the great shore diving.
Cocoview has 24 rooms, I think, and no kids allowed, so much smaller than AKR.
Cocoview also has all meals as buffet food, help yourself and as much as you want of anything with the exception of lobster night, when they ask you to only take one. People are free to go back later for a second if any are left. Most people arrive at same time for dinner, so the food is very hot. They also cater to special diets and will fix any meals with that in mind. Our first trip there a gentleman had a condition requiring very bland meals, no spices at all... they fixed him a separate plate each meal, cooked for him special. You can do that when resort is smaller.

Next trip to Roatan, we might try the go to AKR instead of CCV, but at the same price the unlimited shore diving in front of our room at CCV... don't know if I could talk my husband into it.

I thought about Coco View but you know my philosophy Robint. With flights from DC, I will be pushing over 2K cost wise. Roatan is no longer a budget destination in that price and so many other places become possible in that money that going to Roatan would not make sense.

If I wanted to do a vacation for 2000 USD then this would be the list:

1. Egypt liveaboard (800 + flight 1000)
2. Thailand Liveaboard (700 + flight 1200)
3. Sudan liveaboard (850 + flight 1200)
4. South Africa (750 + flight 1250)

Roatan and AKR were very good for what I paid but if the cost goes up to above 2K then the place would have to compete for a lot of other places available in that money.

I thought about Coco View but you know my philosophy....

1. Egypt liveaboard (800 + flight 1000)
2. Thailand Liveaboard (700 + flight 1200)
3. Sudan liveaboard (850 + flight 1200)
4. South Africa (750 + flight 1250)

I would like the number of your travel agent. Do you ride in checked luggage or squeeze into the carry-on bin? Phenomenal air pricing, bargain dive rates, too. On liveaboards, I go with the slight upgrade of not having to row. You're not getting an equal quality experience at that price compared to AKR.

Your philosophy must also include a lot more vacation days as your more far-flung list adds 2 to 4 days of travel time. Great if you got it, but also it must be a factor in comparative value computations.

If we can leave the emerged discussion limited to Roatan comparatives, CCV and AKR are inarguably the top two dive resorts in the island. Very few of us have been to both, a microscopic number have been to the additional options beyond the two. AKR has been offering two-for-one for quite a while, locking themselves sociologically into that pricepoint forevermore. CCV has never ever offered a discount and it's usually booked full.:hm: Go figure.

You pay for what you get. On Roatan, FIBR is even cheaper and would be a comparable experience to the lower price structure international dive destination liveaboard options as listed, so there's that, and occasional guests there have lived to tell the tale.

Vacation time is a valued commodity, but everyone has their own exchange rate.

Back
Top Bottom