Akumal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Heading down to Akumal to blow bubbles for a week. Hope to return with a glowing report.
Rick

Hi Rick

How was your trip?

I'm leaving next Friday, and I'll head straight to Akumal, so I really would like to read some feed back from you.

Cheers

Sue

We stayed at Villas de Rosa, really south of Akumal proper, but we made the $5 taxi to Akumal to eat a few times. Villas de Rosa was beautiful, with open balconies, large living/sitting rooms, complete kitchens... the weather was wonderful, so we didn't need air conditioning at all (it was available in the bedrooms should it be needed).
Villas de Rosa caters mainly to cavers, and their open water boat is small and slow - but there are plenty of good sites very close by, and Tito (DM) and Fausto (boat driver & crew) were friendly, accomodating and anxious to make every dive a good one.
The sites are varied - you can pretty much dictate anything you want... as I had several youngsters in my group, we wanted shallow sites, and were gratified to find there were plenty of good ones - so we were able to make 50 - 60 minute dives the norm, with plenty of natural light to keep things colorful.
Lots of turtles, a few nurse sharks and Barracuda, the usual tropical mob - the occasional *huge* rainbow or blue parrot, a few big rays... the kids had a blast so it was a very successful trip.
Where are you staying? My Bride ("Scuba Mom") checked out several of the other facilities with an eye toward repeat trips to the area, so perhaps we can provide a little advance info.
Rick

Rick

I don't know yet: I had good references of Villas de Rosa, but also for a nearby hotel "Oasis Akumal" (but I don't have their address or site).
I've also been recommended to stay at Turtle Bay Vacations (Luna Azul Casitas: one room air conditioned studio with two double beds,kitchenette, bottled purified drinking water and daily maid service. Not onthe beach side, but does have beach access just a few steps away. Located
on the white sandy beach of Half Moon Bay. Nightly low season rate $70.00US plus 12% tax or $450.00 US plus 12% tax.) Do you think this is a reasonable price?
I'm really not willing to make advanced reservations, because we have rented a car so we don't want to be stuck in a place we dont like.
Was it very crowded? Do you think we'll find accommodation without any advanced bookings?

From your post I'm thrilled about the place!!!!

Sue

Rick,

Glad to here you like Villas deRosa, we are in the planning stage for a trip there. Waiting to finish full cave cert then its a cenote trip to Villa deRosa.

Sue

Half Moon Bay is a very pretty area. We had lunch on the beach at a little restaurant. Tried to do some snorkeling after we ate. Seems like we waded out about halfway to Cuba before it got deeper than 3 feet. But there was a lot of small and colorful life in the rocky bottom all the way out and back. We learned later the north side of the bay was deeper. Time to drive back to Playa by then so we didn't try it.

Had a nice day at Half Moon Bay.

Sounds like a good price to me.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom