Al 30 or Al 40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luxfer Al40s are bear most of the weight at the neck. They trim out great. Catalina's are awful.

XS Scuba distributes Luxfers. Seems like most LDS have access to XS Scuba.

Luxfer Al40s are bear most of the weight at the neck. They trim out great. Catalina's are awful.

XS Scuba distributes Luxfers. Seems like most LDS have access to XS Scuba.

I'll have to look into our catalogs again because we're an XS dealer and the catalog was all Catalina last time I looked, though I could be mistaken.

They come out of the box O2 ready (80% @ 3400 and 100% @ 2400). What I wanted to know is what else needed to be done so one could be used for 100% @ 3000psi...are we talking parts, cleaning, etc

If a reg is cleaned to O2 service standards, has O2 compatible "O" rings & lube, it is safe for O2 use to 3000psi. Whether the O2 fill station can/will fill to this pressure is another matter.

I've heard the same about the Catalina and Luxfer 80s.

Anyone know if the 40s ride similar or different?

This chart indicates similar measurements for the outside and similar weight, but radically different buoyancy from the two manufacturers.

Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan

From the table.

Luxfer 40; Buoyancy- empty 2.2lb; full -0.8lb: swing 3.0lb
Catalina 40; Buoyancy- empty 1.7lb; full -2.6lb: swing 4.3lb

As the swing is due to the gas used, these numbers don't add up.

I'v found Catalina 40's to be moderately heavier at the start of a dive to Luxfer 40's. I don't find the difference to be that big a deal

From the table.

Luxfer 40; Buoyancy- empty 2.2lb; full -0.8lb: swing 3.0lb
Catalina 40; Buoyancy- empty 1.7lb; full -2.6lb: swing 4.3lb

These numbers don't add up.

Exactly. Something stinks.

http://www.xsscuba.com/tank_lux_distribution.html

bnr_luxferback.jpg

So on to the next question. How long should my primary hose be on my AL 40? I was thinking 32in.

I use a 40" hose on all my stage and deco regs. That length routes nicely behind my head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom