Al 30 or Al 40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So on to the next question. How long should my primary hose be on my AL 40? I was thinking 32in.

I use a 36" on mine, but I'm a thin guy and my stage rigging keeps my bottle fairly close. A 40" would likely be much better, for if nothing else anyone could use your reg in a pinch.

Peace,
Greg

2d the 40" hose on the regulator. I also have a LP BC inflator hose on my stage bottle rig for shooting bags. I do not tie up the SPG - don't see the value. Seems like contorting the 6" hose would ruin it quickly.

So without intention of starting a debate about RAS I w oils like to get some opinions. I am in the market for a bottle to sling, and use as a RAS during wreck diving in lake Huron. Also I will be using it as a stage bottle in the future. So the question is, should I purchase a al 30 or a al 40. Also planning on trying out a hog reg as well so what do you guys think?:)

Medicdiver,

I rented a Luxfer Al 30 from my LDS yesterday and configured it as a sling bottle hoping to try it today as a bailout/buddy bottle, to compare to my Luxfer Al 40.

Ultimately, I didn't dive it today, but here are a couple of pics to show relative sizes. To me, the 30 is noticeably smaller (shorter and smaller cross section) than the 40, and lighter in weight. I'm not sure these pics convey just how significantly smaller the 30 is. If buoyancy characteristics are okay, I'm almost certain I will prefer the 30 (if I don't need the additional capacity of the 40). I'm almost certain the 30 will work better for me (if I don't need the additional capacity of the 40) when I'm diving with my U/W camera, doing walk-out, solo dives. I hope to dive it soon.

Hope this helps.

Ronald

Attachments

• CompareAlBailouts_20110402a_lg.jpg
    CompareAlBailouts_20110402a_lg.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 72
  • CompareAlBailouts_20110402b_lg.jpg
    CompareAlBailouts_20110402b_lg.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 64
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom