Ala Moana Sears Closing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
From what the papers say the mall owners are buying Sears out of their lease ($250,000,000 - could that be a typo?) so they could open more, smaller stores.

At the end of the last Christmas shopping season they did say that Sears will be closing some stores and making a total overhaul of those that stay open. Maybe this was a welcome offer.

Sears has been in Ala Moana since the mall opened back in the 50's. Used to go there a lot more often when we lived in Waikiki, but it was still my go to store for certain things like tools and Hubby's work cloths. I can only hope it will mean they will overhaul and stock their Windward Mall and Pearl Ridge Mall stores better

Sad to see it go...

They're not buying their lease. They're buying the mall from Sears.

Hmmm...I just double check, in the news paper it says lease. Where did you get your information from?

The original Sears was on South Beretania that later became the old HPD headquarters and DMV office. Going there for anything, you would have to plan on losing the whole day if you went in the morning. If you went there in the afternoon, you were never heard from again. I remember when Kmart downtown opened near the morgue - 10,000 people showed up, and Nimitz Highway was paralyzed due to the volume of traffic. The Kmart board was there, and they were dumbfounded by the response. They would have gotten to Hawaii 10 years sooner if they had known how they would be received.
After the 2005 Sears-Kmart merger, most people thought that Sears would just absorb Kmart. Not looking like that anymore.

Back
Top Bottom