Alabama Point Jetties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwhitlock

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dove the jetties today at high, good news all I saw was about 4 or 5 jellies. I hope this is a good sign that their clearing out. Vis was around 5-10 ft. not bad its always a nice fun dive..............:D

What part did you dive? I noticed Saturday that the rock wall on the South Eastern side was now a continuous line. Has anyone tried that area, or is everyone just doint the wall, and the bridge piers?

I typically dive the jetties(rocks) on the west side, as access is a hellovalot easier. I've dived the east side, years ago, before the current "re-nourishment" and it was shallow. I've also dived the island jetties a couple years ago, it was shallow there as well. Nothing wrong with shallow, but the boat traffic creates a continuous annoying surge at those depths.

I've yet to dive the FL Point Jetties(east side) since its been worked on(completed?).

Hi all. New to the forum. I used to dive the jetties and under the bridge years ago, but gave it up when they started dredging. How are conditions there now? Used to dive there alot at night, sticking flounder. Ah, the good ol' days...

Can be good, can be crap. Welcome to ScubaBoard!

Flounder are out, if you want to stick them again.

I typically dive the jetties(rocks) on the west side, as access is a hellovalot easier. I've dived the east side, years ago, before the current "re-nourishment" and it was shallow. I've also dived the island jetties a couple years ago, it was shallow there as well. Nothing wrong with shallow, but the boat traffic creates a continuous annoying surge at those depths.

I've yet to dive the FL Point Jetties(east side) since its been worked on(completed?).

Here is what it looks like now:

5-30-08_Beach32a.jpg

The contractor for the job forgot that it rains sometimes, and that wind pushes water into these things called "waves". He went over budget because of weather delays, and now he is unable to complete the project, The Corps no longer has money for the project, so it may be a while before the underwater dam thingy is complete. :dozingoff:

LOL, now thats interesting... Atleast the drunken snowbird boaters won't go running over the jetties while they're just under the surface of the water.

...now they'll just ramp the jetties while they sit completely out the water :wink:

OK, which side is this you are showing in the photo? I am planning a dive along the west side this Saturday. Tide is high at 1400.

Man I'm missing a lot working away from the beach. That looks pretty cool bet that will soon hold some fish. Mat what was the depth along that point? Oh and lets not forget the rich kids sneaking out in their daddy's big boats colliding with them jetties. Jwitlock did you see any small tropicals during the dive?

This would have been near to low tide I believe.

I am standing on the East of the Pass (Florida Side) Facing South West. You can see the channel marker just to the right of where the rocks terminate.

The water in cradle of the rocks seemed to have no current on the surface. The water was not too cloudy, or too clear. The tidal nook (lower center of photo) had green stuff and critters growing in it. You would be required to dodge hooks, lines and sinkers if you were to try diving it.

-h

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom