Alaska Speargun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nestleb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking at buying my first speargun. I have settled on JBL and I want a wood gun. I will be spearing sokeye and silver salmon in the mouths of our local stream. I might shoot a few rockfish if I have time to go to their location. I have been looking at the Woody 38 special. The streams and rivers we fish are rather small 30 to 50 feet across the channel the fish swim up and vis is usually 20+ feet. Will this gun work for this application? And is 3 slings advisable? The silvers can reach 20#s. Thank you for your help.

Justin
Sitka Alaska

Pretty much anything will work. Big thing is Red's worth eating are pretty spookable so you've got to get in a good school then hold you're breath long enough they get close. In the streams with a snorkle seems to work pretty good just drifting down to them.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom