Aldora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And that is the beauty of a boat that allows divers the freedom to dive their profiles within their skills and experience. You get to meet lots of folks with varied experiences but are not constrained to dive within their limits. Puts a lot less pressure on the dive ops to match skills and less stress for divers that can lead them to criticize or critique their boat companions. Everyone wins.

I would agree with that, just not on drift dives. The vast majority of people I have shared a boat with do not understand the concept of follow the leader, don’t stop, don’t linger and don’t backtrack. Keep moving so you don’t cause an “8 car diver pile up” on the reef. :cheers:

One highly qualified nutty group wanted Maracaibo for a first dive, then Barracuda for the second—yes we did it.

WOW! That’s a special day of scuba right there! :thumb:

I would agree with that, just not on drift dives. The vast majority of people I have shared a boat with do not understand the concept of follow the leader, don’t stop, don’t linger and don’t backtrack. Keep moving so you don’t cause an “8 car diver pile up” on the reef. :cheers:
But that is exactly the point I am making. No unhappy divers with group pileups or early ascents when you are in control of your own dives.

But happily each to his own. As pointed out upstream, there are enough quality Cozumel dive ops to satisfy all types of divers. :cheers: (Low carb beer of course :wink:)

I would agree with that, just not on drift dives. The vast majority of people I have shared a boat with do not understand the concept of follow the leader, don’t stop, don’t linger and don’t backtrack. Keep moving so you don’t cause an “8 car diver pile up” on the reef.

My biggest gripe about Cozumel diving is the groups always have to keep moving and be going somewhere. And I've experienced with every op and DM I've had. It's a drift dive. Float with the current. I swear I have to do more kicking on a Cozumel drift dive than most any other location. I like to video and stay in one place and don't mind kicking to catch up with a group because I ducked out of or kicked against the current to video but it's frustrating when I see something cool to video but can't stop for more than ten seconds because I look at the group and they are all flutter kicking like they late to a party.

I was in Cozumel over Labor Day week cave diving. I got hung up in Mexico due to the hurricane hitting Miami. I hooked up with an independent dm who some of my buddies knew. It was just he and I diving together on a large boat with another dm and 3 people. As far as doing my own thing it was great and at $75/ 2 tank dive I thought it was reasonable. He told me that you can rent a boat for around $300 so if you have several people it gets economical really quick. He took care of tanks and weights for me but from my experience renting tanks from Merdiano is cheap too at about $2.50 / tank. The dive shops make it easy and should make a profit for providing the service but if you are wanting a custom personalized dive trip there are reasonable options on Cozumel.

I am one of those nutty divers. More than once. We usually skip the beach stop. I brought lunch for the whole boat to help. Ham, cheese, bread, mayo, veggies, cookies, melon, juice.
Experienced group of divers that had been together for a few days already. Not a regular thing. Not something I expect every trip.
Like I said before, most of my best dives were closer to 60 min. Which were only that long because we all used 120's of nitrox.

But that is exactly the point I am making. No unhappy divers with group pileups or early ascents when you are in control of your own dives. But happily each to his own. As pointed out upstream, there are enough quality Cozumel dive ops to satisfy all types of divers.
C:\Users\mcohen\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif
(Low carb beer of course
C:\Users\mcohen\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.png
)[
/QUOTE]

^^ Funny :nyah:

My biggest gripe about Cozumel diving is the groups always have to keep moving and be going somewhere. And I've experienced with every op and DM I've had. It's a drift dive. Float with the current. I swear I have to do more kicking on a Cozumel drift dive than most any other location. I like to video and stay in one place and don't mind kicking to catch up with a group because I ducked out of or kicked against the current to video but it's frustrating when I see something cool to video but can't stop for more than ten seconds because I look at the group and they are all flutter kicking like they late to a party.

And I think we’re arguing the same point about drift dives more often than not becoming a cluster. If you’re “that guy” with the camera, bring up the rear or get a private guide. I just think it’s unfair to the folks behind the photographer. At the end of the day, the question I ask myself is, a year from now, 2 years from now, 5, or more, who will really care about that toadfish you saw back in 2008? :cheers:

I'm ALWAYS at the rear. Only way to get video of something good without 3 or 4 divers swimming right in front of you.

I'm ALWAYS at the rear. Only way to get video of something good without 3 or 4 divers swimming right in front of you.
Me too. Sometimes I will start out at the front to get footage before the group arrives. Like you, I often play catch up with the group. Having a good, efficient, fast kick is very useful.

I almost always trail a group so that I can have peace and quiet in my diving. I almost always find more than the main group in my sweep position.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom