Alec Pierce Scuba - Long Hose Good or Bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I’m not DIR (even though my profile says DIR practitioner. Need to fix that) but I use a long hose because I could not make the other way work for me. Exactly whom am I endangering, with this practice? Myself? My Buddy that is OOG doesn’t see bright yellow? Remember I’ve told them before hand that they will get the reg that’s in my mouth if they are OOG. I imagine that the next thought after they don’t see yellow is “oh yes I’ll just take the one out of his mouth” I’m really not sure what the fuss is about.

His main concern with donating the primary was that both divers would have their regs out of their mouth at the same time.

And I was sure he had been around long enough to have learned how to buddy breathe, where both divers have the reg out of their mouth with great regularity. I guess his audience is more the vacation diver crowd, which is why I never became a fan.

Bob

@Lake Hickory Scuba followed up with a youtube post today offering a counter-argument to Alec's now deleted video.

Lake Hickory Scuba will remain neutral in the very controversial deleted video in this thread, and this will be the only reply in this thread from us. We have a ton of respect for Mr. Peirce and his many many many contributions to the Scuba Industry. We all make mistakes, even us Scuba Instructors. After making a mistake though, we should be open to learn from it, and simply move on. Happy and safe diving everyone.

Lake Hickory Scuba will remain neutral in the very controversial deleted video in this thread, and this will be the only reply in this thread from us. We have a ton of respect for Mr. Peirce and his many many many contributions to the Scuba Industry. We all make mistakes, even us Scuba Instructors. After making a mistake though, we should be open to learn from it, and simply move on. Happy and safe diving everyone.
An excellent position to take, since you're both right.

I like the guy.

I think his forte is explaining common scuba equipment topics in simple terms. I wish he had taught my regulator service class...

Alec was one of the best reg technicians around. My regs were always tuned perfectly and I was always confident that they would never freeflow in our extremely cold water.

I took the Equipment Specialty course with Alec, and I believe he had designed the course. Most of the course focused on regulators, opening various regs, looking at how they work, and showing how they're serviced, as well as maintenance and quick fixes of equipment.

He definitely makes things simple and is a very hands-on kind of teacher, letting the students work with the materials. You probably wouldn't have gotten bored either, because he's way too funny to have been a former math teacher. :)

And I was sure he had been around long enough to have learned how to buddy breathe, where both divers have the reg out of their mouth with great regularity. I guess his audience is more the vacation diver crowd, which is why I never became a fan. Bob

He definitely learned to buddy breathe. However, as you know, teaching buddy breathing became a thing of the past, so many/most of the shop's students were no longer learning it.

In my Rescue course in 2002, Alec and Diana gave permission for our Instructor to teach us buddy breathing, as Diana said that it was a good skill to know and a pool was the perfect place to practice. They said though, that buddy breathing was usually not taught anymore throughout the agency because apparently there were too many mishaps while buddy breathing/training. Hence his concern for 2 divers not having a reg in their mouth at the same time.

Just to be clear, I have had a 7' long hose for 6 years, and of course I received appropriate training in using it. When I did GUE Fundamentals, there was a strong emphasis on donating and waiting for the recipient to accept and start breathing before switching to our backup, no matter how easily we switched and stayed aware. I was told a few times to wait until they were breathing off my long hose. I told the Instructors it didn't make sense, since if we could switch effortlessly, if the recipient did continue to have issues, we would be in a better position to assist with a reg in our mouth. In a Fundies course I sat in on recently, I couldn't believe the same Instructor had the students switching immediately upon donation. I didn't ask why the change in protocol, but I'd be interested to know...

So what stops/stopped you from asking?

That was the last day and as you know, they're long, busy days, and I didn't ask in front of the students. After the last debrief, everyone disbursed quickly.

I saw this in the land drills, as none of the students got to S-Drills in o/w unfortunately. It was clear in the land drills that they were told to switch right away as soon as they donated. However, I'm pretty sure we practiced on land that way too. No one told us to wait until we did S-Drills in o/w, where I was certainly surprised. It will be interesting to see if that's how it happens in o/w, but the next time I see/chat with the Instructor, I'll ask if there's been a change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom