Alexa, what's the MOD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sean Walberg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was trying to learn more about Alexa skills and I happen to just have completed my Nitrox class, so I made a skill to calculate best mix and MOD. Ask Alexa for the "nitrox calculator" skill. Would love to hear any thoughts!

I was trying to learn more about Alexa skills and I happen to just have completed my Nitrox class, so I made a skill to calculate best mix and MOD. Ask Alexa for the "nitrox calculator" skill. Would love to hear any thoughts!

Aside from the crazy idea of wiretapping your house to the internet, I'd rather just do the simple math rather than tox because my wiretap f'ed up. :confused:

I’m not an Alexa user but I do use apps for dive calculations.

I laud your efforts and if nothing else, I’m sure the development helped you internalise the maths.

Aside from the crazy idea of wiretapping your house to the internet, I'd rather just do the simple math rather than tox because my wiretap f'ed up. :confused:
I also think having an internet connected microphone in your house is a bad idea. I do use online calculators for MOD and best mix; although I have to admit I saved the source locally in case the site I use ever goes down.

Is it computing

PO2 = (Max depth in meters / 10 + 1) x % of O2 in your bottle ?

Then solve for PO2 = 1.4 ?

Is it computing

PO2 = (Max depth in meters / 10 + 1) x % of air in your bottle ?

Then solve for PO2 = 1.4 ?

Yea, but in feet (making the unit system an option is next on my list).

If you’re really paranoid about those things, you should watch “Snowden”. It’ll make you put a piece of tape over your camera lenses (at least the ones attached to WiFi). If they want to watch me, they’re gonna be bored.

I’m not an Alexa user. I do like to shut off the lights in my son’s room just to aggravate him.

I’ll stick to my dive planner.

I have nothing to hide....I asked her, she told me to drop dead?

Don't let your paranoia get in the way of the fact that checking one box turns that off. To be fair - it;s enabled by default as some people use their Echo to contact (and listen in on) other Echo's.

A bigger issue for me would be no access to Alexa when I'm on a dive boat with no wi-fi.

A standalone app might be of more use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom