Alexander Springs 2-7-09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louma

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have had a few people call me wanting to get into the water, but not feeling that the Paradise Spring Dive was within their abilities. I'll be at Alexander Springs with 2 students, one is finishing up his Master Diver certification, the other is finishing Rescue Diver. So the offer is extended. I'll be meeting divers at Gander Mountain (Lake Mary) at 9AM with the intent to get to Alex around 10 or so. If you would like to tag along you are more than welcome. Either meet at GM or meet at Alexander Sp. For those who don't know Alexander Springs the water is always 72 degrees year round, clear, wide open, and about 28 feet deep. Nice, easy dive. This would be a great place to test out new equipment, shake out the cobwebs from not diving in awhile, or just to come out for a fun dive. It is a National Park, admision for divers is $5.00 + tax, you will need to show your "C" card with photo. If no photo, you will need to show a drivers license. Bring a lunch, your equipment, air, etc. There is no fill station here. Hope to see you there.

Wish I could be there... my two buddies are going to be in class that day...

But I thought I'd mention that we were there a few weeks ago and it's $10/diver now. And while the underwater landscape is forever changing, there is still the ever present sand. Bring a hood if you have one! It had been about 20 years since I last dove Alexander, and the park has been much improved in that time... the most beneficial additional for divers is a concrete walkway from the parking lot to the picnic area by the springs. This is great if you have anything with wheels! I carry my 95s on a dolly and have a cooler with wheels... much better than the rustic path-in-the-dirt. The diver's wash station was not working so the sand traveled home with us, but there are nice facilities with showers to wash off and change.

Oh, one more thing... don't forget to save a hotdog or two for the fish. Go to the edge of the spring drop (about 7ft deep) where you are out of the way of the swimmers overhead and watch 5 fish turn into a hundred! It's a spectacle! Once one fish decides it's edible, they all come from everywhere! You would be wise to wear gloves when participating in this event.

Have a good dive... wish I could go....

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom