• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Aliexpress and other Cheap Stuff Thread

Discussion in 'General Scuba Equipment Discussions' started by Addison Snyder, Jul 9, 2020.

Do you buy/trust cheap unbrand/nobrand Chinese stuff?

1. No

43.8%
  2. Yes

21.3%
  3. Only for non-life-support

38.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Scared Silly

Scared Silly Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Given penchant for shark fin soup, gill rakers, ivory, pangolins, and a whole host of other endangered animals (not too mention human rights violations) I do buy products made in China unless there is no other choice. And there is always another choice when one compares against cheap knock crap that more than likely violates multiple copyright and design pattens.

buddhasummer and Jax_DustH like this.
  2. greeniguana

greeniguana ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

3. Addison Snyder

Addison Snyder Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    If they are, they're really good ones (compare photos between your site and user reviews on aliexpress). I've gotten dirt cheap panasonic button cell batteries from aliexpress before. Worked well, came in asian packaging that look legitimately like what panasonic would package batteries like in asian countries. I'm just guessing that there's some seriously artificial price hikes in certain products coming overseas.

Bottom Surveyor and drk5036 like this.
  4. Tassi Devil Diver

Tassi Devil Diver Barracuda

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
  5. Addison Snyder

6. MrVegas

MrVegas Nassau Grouper

Are you still diving that drysuit? How is it holding up?

7. Addison Snyder

I cut the neoprene wrist seals off, quickly learned that latex seals and 4-8mm neoprene are tough to bond. My last 'successful' reinstallation lasted probably a dozen dives. What it came down to was my ignorance about getting the right glue, installing, etc. That last installation I stretched the wrists a little too much when bonding them, so there was too much seal trying to match up with too little neoprene. This time I've used a smaller cup to keep them both slightly stretched on the installation. Haven't tested it since because of a last minute thing. Btw, I confirmed that there are no other leaks in the entire suit, so these issues are entirely my fault.

Tldr; it is a fine suit, but I have made a lot of wrong decisions and am learning the joys of drysuit repair.

Bottom Surveyor and Dark Wolf like this.
  8. buddhasummer

buddhasummer Feeling the Love ScubaBoard Supporter

If I can avoid it I do. I'm not sure any of my gear is made in China at all. For household stuff it's harder to avoid. I vote we start eating Pandas, can imagine that would go down well.

9. buddhasummer

10. buddhasummer

Did a quick inventory in my head, can't think of any dive gear I have made in China.