All about Oxygen O2 Analyzers, including DIY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lubold has an excellent link there. With the info you'll gather there, you can make any one of several O2 analysers, although they are essentially variations on a theme. When you get to the link for RC Scuba on one of the posts, you'll find they have a comparison chart of all the major O2 cells. Choose the one you like the specs and price of most. You can order the digital panel meters and various adapters from them as well. The El Cheapo 2 is everything you'll need (except adapters etc.) in a simple to assemble kit. You can make it as simple or fancy or rugged as you wish.

I opted for the Analytical Instruments cells personally, best specs.
I wanted to have redundancy as well, so I got 2 of everything and made 2 seperate units in a single case, that way I always have a "second opinion". The cells and DPM's I ordered, but Everything else came from Radio Shack for simplicity. The Otter case came from the LDS.

As far as accuracy, I can check them on Helium, which gives a 0.0 reading and 100% O2, where I get a couple tenths off on the left side one, and about 8 tenths of a percent off on the right side one. All in all, pretty dang good for inexpensive units.

Darlene

Just curious if any Nitrox divers carry their own O2 analyzers or use the dive shops analyzer?
Which brand do you prefer?
How much did you pay for yours?
How good is you O2 replaceable cartridge and is it expensive in your opinion?

Thanks

I use the shop's analyzer when I pick up my cylinders so that I can sign the log.

I do have my own so I can double check when on a boat or to make sure what's on the label is what is in the tank.

I got mine for $250 from a local instructor (can hook you up). It's the "O2 stick" and does provide for a repalaceable battery and fuel cell.

mars2u once bubbled...
Just curious if any Nitrox divers carry their own O2 analyzers or use the dive shops analyzer?
Which brand do you prefer?
How much did you pay for yours?
How good is you O2 replaceable cartridge and is it expensive in your opinion?

Thanks
Use the shop's at the shop, check with mine when I get home.

I like Oxycheq's analyzers, but I have an OMS (it was cheaper).

$200 from Northeast Scuba Supply

Decent - they are all somewhere around $70-100 as far as I know.

I own my own OxySpy O2 analyzer. I love it.

see http://www.abysmal.com/Merchant2/me...een=PROD&Product_Code=Oxy-1&Category_Code=GAS

This particular model lists at $325 but I got a great deal on mine for $190 brand spanking new at my tech scuba store. It is easier to calibrate than most store models as well.

By owning it, I can make sure the O2 unit in it has been properly protected and maintained. Since your life at 1.6 PO2 on deco can depend on a good O2 analyzer, it is well worth it to me to own my own (no pun intended).

Plus, this is just one more neat toy for my scubatoy collection.

In all honesty, a nitrox diver who keeps his/her PO2s to 1.4 or better probably does not need their own O2 analyzer. But it is still nice to be able to dial into your nitrox dive computer your "exact" FO2 mixture.

It's easier to use the shops analyzer but then I always analyze before I dive. I like the trick little Oxyspy. I've tested it against several other analyzers and it's right on. Can't beat it for convenience.

mars2u once bubbled...
Just curious
~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks
1. I have two. One is a portable that I can take along on the boat for others to use. The other is tied into my fill station and I use it to analyze my tanks (and bank) during the fill. I mark the filled tanks with %/MOD/date/psi and don't bother to re-analyze because the way I blend the reading doesn't change.

2. I made both analyzers. One is an El Cheapo kit from Oxycheq.

3. ~$100

4. Good. Replacement ~$75.

The analyzer is basically just a voltmeter that has been calibrated to output % O2. The sensor is the expensive/critical/sensitive part.

I got the OMS after seeing one at my LDS. It's rugged, easy to calibrate and comes in a pelican case with everything you need.

spend the extra few bucks on the screw in din pressure reducer. much better than the dial in flow meter that plugs into a LP inflator hose.
:)

Thanks for everyones responses. Must evaluate and go shopping in the not-too-distant future.
Always good info here.

Safe Diving!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom