All around reg set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello!

I'm looking to buy my new/first regulator set-up. I have a deepx zen SS backplate and want an all around regulator set-up. I plan to use it in 14C-27C waters, travelling occasionally, mostly OW but in the future do some basic cave/wreck diving and maybe start looking at tech so I'm looking for something I can grow into.
I've been looking at the DGX Deep 6 streamlined OW set-up, Dive Rite XT OW set-up and also heard good things from the Apeks XTX despite being more expensive than the previous ones.
A condition I have is getting a gear that can be bought and delivered internationally since I live in Peru and with a servicing practice that is not that complicated so it doesn't create issues when servicing in my local dive shops.

I'm at the analysis-paralysis stage so I would greatly appreciate some advice

Thanks!

Chris

What does 'all around' mean?

Most non-entry-level regs will work fine in your water temp and depth range, so it is all about the additional bells and whistles, work of breathing, maybe hose routing options depending on what you have in mind.

I would suggest a cold water rated (even if you don't foresee it), balanced, environmentally sealed first stage with an adjustable second stage. A lot falls under that category.

Do your Peruvian shops service the brands you mentioned?

The first question is what is your service intent. Particularly as two you mention are less common and from half the globe away from you. Where do you fall amongst:
- "The reg somehow doesn't work, will you fix it and hand it back?"
- "The first stage IP is creeping up, or its been a while, I'll mail that in for service"
- "It's easier for me to just service something that simple (the second stage)."?

Local service: depends on the quality of your shop. What do they sell? What do they service? Will they, liability wise, service something if you give them the service kit and service manual? Do you trust them? If not, is there one in country you can mail it to that will? Or how complex is sending it out of country for service? 2nd stages are very simple and the Deep6 has nothing making it complex. The first is a standard diaphragm. Deep6 Service Manual.

Mail in service 1st stage: Get two 1st stages and keep one as spare. When you feel it needs service, send it in and use spare. When you get into tech, get a 3rd 1st as spare, unless you've gained confidence in your local service support.

Self service 2nd stage (or mail in): 2nd stages are very easy to service. For example the unbalanced 109 below is dirt simple. The balanced G250 below is simple. Most barrel poppet second stages are conceptual children of this model. The Deep6 is similar to the G250. Buy 3 2nds and take apart and rebuild one till you understand it.

When I started I thought about the Apeks DST and XTX50 which seem a (European because of pricing) tech go to setup, but my local shop was more ScubaPro focused and I got a Mk25/S600/S600. Deciding I like sealed turrets I got some Deep6 Signature firsts and a second. Performance wise I'm as happy with my deep6 as my mk25/s600/154 but have not personally dove deep. I have no expectation I would need to replace my deep6's for tech, nor that the Apeks have any performance advantage over the Deep6.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom