All New Fins are Now Jet Knockoffs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deco_martini

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
/rant

SCUBALAB 2015: Dive Fin Review | Scuba Diving

There are so many knockoffs now..... (I was obviously joking that _all_ were Jet knockoffs, but there's at least 4 in that review, and more on the market).

I mean, Apeks makes a nice knockoff; and cave-tech people have been the trend setters in scuba for years now. OMS Slips will bite the hell out of your feet to get that "stiff" kick of fast accel that quickly tops out.

The only fin that's interested me in recent years that didn't have gimmicks (like the seawing or slingshot) is the Atomic Blade which seems to be a hybrid of a force fin and a traditional paddle (but has the presence of a Yeti).

Are fins basically done? Is it down to Jets, Paddles, Force Fins, and trusty old Atomic Splits?

there are only three in there, but the Apeks RK3 hasn't been changed in a very long time *read decades*, just has spring straps, but is the same as the aqualung rocket fin
Dive Rite XT is the same mold that Apollo had 20 years ago
OMS Slipstream is no different than it was almost 10 years ago when it came out, same monoprene and is about as stiff as the old jet fins used to be
XS Turtle fin has been around for at least 10 years but is floppy and very heavy compared to jets.

Hog, UTD, Poseidon etc are all getting the same basic fin from the same OEM, slightly different compounds for negative vs. neutral buoyancy but they're the same fin.

It's just real hard to go against something that works.

Have you noticed that all new vehicles look alike? I frankly cannot tell a Honda from a Buick much less a cross over from a minivan. And they are all so bloated, puffy and fat just like the people who drive them. People used to look like their dogs and now their cars look like them and their dogs! Convergent evolution driven by tech hungry millennials (as long as it has wifi) and EPA/CAFE regs and a burgeoning population of people with large butts. I suspect many fins look so much like Jet Fins because new divers discovered that all the "tech" divers use Jet Fins and so they must be good or even that in fact they perform(ed) better and therefore are copied, simply survival of the fittest. I think the fins are style driven.

And, fish have fins, mammals have flippers. I would settle for flippers in something other than black.

I think free diver "styled" flippers are the next wave in SCUBA flipperology. No, they will be reduced in length and possibly break down for travel. Which brings up another driving force in design, short blade length and light weight designs (Aeris Accel for example) again for travel.

I think SCUBA and cruiser motorcycles are two remaining consumer product areas driven by aging baby boomers, lots of black on large diameter people all with tats that mean nothing.

Idealism converts to realism which then converts to cynicism as we age. I think I just crossed a divide.

N

Idealism converts to realism which then converts to cynicism as we age. I think I just crossed a divide.

N

At least regarding flippers, I'm pretty much there.

Splits. Gimmicks (seawings, slingshots, etc). Now Jet-Everything.

I'll remember this post if free diver styled flippers become the next big thing.

Hopefully, when Bob Evans gets Force Fins back into full operation, the next big thing in fins will be the OPS (Optimum Propulsion System) fins.
This is basically the Force Fin foot pocket to which you can easily attach any number of blades (flippers) depending on the type of diving you are doing.
Many of these blades will be able to be rotated to customize their performance to the divers needs.
He already has long blades (like free diving fins), splits (which you can rotate to make them usable for frog kicks), standard FF shaped blades, Excellerator shaped blades and a new line of blades that incorporate an elastomer section that can expand to catch even more water when you kick hard (the harder you kick the bigger the pocket formed). Start by purchasing the blade(s) you want/need and add more later, if you want/need them.
With the OPS fins you can take one set of foot pockets and several blades and switch them out for different diving conditions. And because the system comes apart in sections, they easily fit in your dive bag.:D

There is already a great free-dive styled scuba "flipper" out there, the Cressi Master Frog. They took their freedive blade material, and shortened the blade design and widened it slightly. Blades are still bigger than typical fins but not nearly as long a the freedive model. Much easier to manage on a boat. Also, they have a light touch if you want for delicate maneuvers, frog kicks and helicopter turns. They back-kick well. They are thin, light and flat, but with strong "snap" from their freedive material and can really crank out loads of power when needed. Better than jets in every way unless you need really "heavy feet" for drysuit dives or trim issues.

I have been enjoying "the future" for the last three years!

Best of all, $80.00 at leisure pro (but I added bungee straps). Even at the $125 retail, a no-brainer.

Note it is only the MASTER Frog I am recommending. Cressi makes several other "Frog" models which are probably good, but are smaller and not in the same league.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom