All purpose light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have several older Tovatec lights with slide switches. Periodically, they get turned on in my suitcase or dive bag and drain the battery. I am not fond of slide switches either. I'm not particularly fond of screw down either. I like my DGX push button button light DGX PUSH Handheld Light Kit - Spot Beam very bright, never turns on accidentally, perfect for day exploring or night use, inexpensive.

that's the same light as the securitying that I use as my primary backup lights. I'd rather get that one for $34 and put the $20 to a better battery and charger personally, just have to be willing to shop around a bit

https://www.amazon.com/SecurityIng-...43284&sr=8-13&keywords=securitying+waterproof

I have several older Tovatec lights with slide switches. Periodically, they get turned on in my suitcase or dive bag and drain the battery. I am not fond of slide switches either. I'm not particularly fond of screw down either. I like my DGX push button button light DGX PUSH Handheld Light Kit - Spot Beam very bright, never turns on accidentally, perfect for day exploring or night use, inexpensive.

I have a couple of slide switch lights. I don't leave batteries in them between dives. But, I have had them get bumped and turn on when clipped to my harness, in the water. Being that they kind of point back behind me, it's easy to not notice that it's on. I don't use them any more, for that reason.

But, until I can find an affordable light with an adjustable width beam and a better switch, I would be willing to try one of these Fusion lights and, if I like it, dive with knowing that it could get bumped and turn on accidentally.

As an aside, one of the things I like about the Xtar D26 is that the on/off button turns 1/4 turn to lock it, so you can't turn it on/off by accident. The DGX Push button looks like it's protected, so it would be very difficult to turn on/off by accident. But, I think it does not have different brightness settings. The D26 has 3 brightness levels, so I like it better for night dives and for situations where I might want 4 to 6 hours of run-time between battery changes.

I have a couple of slide switch lights. I don't leave batteries in them between dives. But, I have had them get bumped and turn on when clipped to my harness, in the water. Being that they kind of point back behind me, it's easy to not notice that it's on. I don't use them any more, for that reason.

But, until I can find an affordable light with an adjustable width beam and a better switch, I would be willing to try one of these Fusion lights and, if I like it, dive with knowing that it could get bumped and turn on accidentally.

As an aside, one of the things I like about the Xtar D26 is that the on/off button turns 1/4 turn to lock it, so you can't turn it on/off by accident. The DGX Push button looks like it's protected, so it would be very difficult to turn on/off by accident. But, I think it does not have different brightness settings. The D26 has 3 brightness levels, so I like it better for night dives and for situations where I might want 4 to 6 hours of run-time between battery changes.
You win :), I just don't spend that amount of time and effort.

You win :), I just don't spend that amount of time and effort.

Well, I haven't yet, either. :) The Fusion is just something I'd like to try. But, obviously, not bad enough to actually shell out the buckazoids. Yet....

The D26 looks like it'll fit my order and at a great price! I might just make it the first in a collection

The D26 looks like it'll fit my order and at a great price! I might just make it the first in a collection

I made it apart of my collection earlier this evening.

I have a few lights. The regular go to main light for the past couple of years has been this.
1000 Lumen Dive Light

It just works. Use it during a shallow sunny day dive to see in holes, night dives. Has just as much punch to it or more than just about everyone else's light I am around. Only a few lights really outshine this one, and the price goes way up.

The downfalls. Fixed aim, it is spot. Pretty much worthless for any video/photography. (but they have a model up that has interchangeable heads that will make a video/photo version). There is no battery warning, not that it really needs one. The batteries will last a really long time anyway.

If I were to loose this light today I would go buy another one.

Says its 5000 lumen, yet according to Cree their XM-L2 is only 1000 lumen:
XLamp XM-L2 LEDs | Cree Components

lots of things can be claimed, most can't be proven. Believe Cree, not the ebay listing. It will real-world have 600-800 lumen behind the glass, probably 500-600 ahead of it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom