Alleged censorship on ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm stayin outta this one!

I know a few who are very happy to hear that!:D

Dragging you in Jim. You've had a couple dealings with me. Have I been uncivil? :) In fact you tried to do me a solid when I bought a bunch of masks from you last year and I threw in a little extra cause I felt you deserved it. And then you threw in that wet notes as a thank you. We both seemed pretty civil to me. :)

Anyways, Pete, if I ever see you, I'll be sure to buy you a beer. Deal?

Volker! Focus dude! This is a moderated scuba message board, not a conspiracy. .

See, I don't see it that way....To me, Scubaboard is a place I can hang out and chat with some of my long time friends in diving, and have a good sized bunch of new people at our virtual table..all part of the chatting.
There is no distinction between basic or advanced or pub, to me...and there never will be--to me. The interactions are the reality, not the :construct" of having sub forums.

---------- Post added August 6th, 2013 at 05:00 PM ----------

Dragging you in Jim. You've had a couple dealings with me. Have I been uncivil? :) In fact you tried to do me a solid when I bought a bunch of masks from you last year and I threw in a little extra cause I felt you deserved it. And then you threw in that wet notes as a thank you. We both seemed pretty civil to me. :)

Anyways, Pete, if I ever see you, I'll be sure to buy you a beer. Deal?

I think you have always been very civil with me, and I have enjoyed your posts.....hang on, I may have just really poisoned you with the moderators :)

---------- Post added August 6th, 2013 at 05:04 PM ----------

Come to New Mexico. They're still around.
Yeahhh...you do know they used to live in pretty much every state, and that the US did in fact, exterminate many with guns, and we even had scumbags purposely infecting them with smallpox.

Not that I can say. Civil I have found though in today's society is too subjective and people are too thin skinned. I have seen many posts on here from many people that got modded or deleted and I could not see why. Most of mine that got shot down did deserve it after I cooled down and thought about it but some were just plain dumb moves.

There have been over time posts saying XXX should be punched in the face, kicked in the nuts, etc. And they were not even members of this board. And any reasonably intelligent person knew that it was just hot air from anger, frustration, disgust, etc. But some Mods are so PC and nanny state minded that like a school that suspends a kid for making a "gun" shape out of a pop tart, they overreact and run to censor.

I miss the 60's and 70's when people had sense of humor and heck, just plain common sense to see BS for BS and hot air for hot air. And if something gets too bad or someone doesn't like it for chrissakes they don't have to click on the thread. But like rubber neckers at a car wreck on the freeway they can't help themselves.

They'd rather torture their own mind reading something they know will upset them. Have to wonder if they also have a favorite burner on the stove they like to touch when its hot.

Other than the fact that it would be unprofessional I would love to go off on facebook sometimes and do from time to time when something is just so wrong that you can't be nice about it. I really love being able to act like the other anonymous people that comment on MSNBC and other news sites. The level of uncivility there is actually refreshing at times.

But long ago I changed my user name to reflect who I am. I am a forum MOD for the SEI forum and that pisses some people off to no end because as even a lowly forum MOD I can't be put on ignore :cool2:. SO I try to stay somewhat civil most of the time but I go off to and get smacked around a bit or edited or deleted.

So be it. But what really rubs me the wrong way is when it's done by an anonymous MOD. I know the real names of the MODs I respect and it's often in their sig line. The ones that refuse to use theirs and hide behind a handle not so much. Like instructors that won't use their real names or link to their website or give any real personal info. I take what they say with a grain of salt.

If you are ok with your actions and words what's wrong with using a real name. Regular users? Don't care one way or the other. But pro's and people with MOD power should not be hiding behind handles when they are changing, editing, or deleting others words.

If you are ok with your actions and words what's wrong with using a real name. Regular users? Don't care one way or the other. But pro's and people with MOD power should not be hiding behind handles when they are changing, editing, or deleting others words.

Amen. I pissed one mod off because I outed a PM he sent me where he claimed he couldn't stand you and wanted to see you get busted. (Or something to that affect.) And people think it's tin foil time when I say that fact.

My handle is basically my real name. It's not but a google search to figure out who I am. I'd be willing to go all the way though if a mod wants to rename my handle.

Volker, and that's the "crux of the bisquit" as some used to say over on rec.scuba. This is NOT your message board, not your rules, not your game.

Rec.scuba imploded, for a few reasons, not the least of which was lack of civility and then too, the conspiracy theorist gun nuts. :)

Volker, and that's the "crux of the bisquit" as some used to say over on rec.scuba. This is NOT your message board, not your rules, not your game.

Rec.scuba imploded, for a few reasons, not the least of which was lack of civility and then too, the conspiracy theorist gun nuts. :)

This is a virtual community. I am here my way, right up until the Brownshirts remove me. I can only promise that I won't go quietly :)

As much as I hate the Nazi's for what they did in the late 30's and the 40's.....I took a course on Nazi Propaganda as one Sociology elective in college ( one of my degrees was Sociology)....You would be shocked to hear how much of what the US does today, exceeds much of what the Nazi regime demanded of it's people. If you could eliminate the ONE issue virtually all people consider when they hear about the Nazi's, the Holocaust, ( it definately happened--but just remove this from the equation, and look at--- the culture , the News and Propaganda Machine, and the way the populace "would have their papers checked" etc....was this the TSA??? ) the point is, the destruction of freedoms in the name of protection of the public....and the skill in News Creation and Spinning, were very major components of what remained and was different than other countries at the time. It all began with little steps, and it slowly became bigger. The changes in freedoms happened so slowly, they were barely noticed, and welcomed because they had been convinced by the News that they were in grave danger, and the country was fighting for it's life.

How can you not see the similarities? Sure the US has never killed off an indigenous people,,,,,I mean, except for wiping out the American Indians, but that doesn't count, of course.... So in this Century, of course we have never committed genocide. Right?

I'm not sure what's more interesting/disturbing. That you...
a.) Find the need to clarify specifics about why you hate Nazis
b.) See the need to stipulate the fact that "the Holocaust did happen"
c.) Then ask people to "remove the Holocaust from the equation" for purposes of evaluating Nazis

---------- Post added August 6th, 2013 at 05:31 PM ----------

I can only promise that I won't go quietly :)

But, you will go?

:d

This is a virtual community.

For someone who's so big on private property rights and personal autonomy, you have an interestingly limited conception of private forum owners' rights to control their domains. Makes me wonder where you stand on the slew of First Amendment cases where mall owners were barred from ejecting leaflette-distributing hippies on the grounds that their private property had become the new town square :p

Brownshirts, please remove this man. He does not play well with others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom