Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Was having problems but medication helped

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do you have allergies to grass

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R A Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
After four years as a dive (but not enough diving) have discovered that allergies are a major cause of difficulty to equalize while diving At first my ENT through it was just inexperience with diving. After batteries of test, allergy medications, surgery on ear drums to relieve fluid behind ear drum, and finally the allergy basic testing procedure have discovered that my problem is grass probably high allergies to coastal bermuda. This became very evident when going on a non-diving trip in Florida this past year. Within 24 hours of arrival in Tampa ears were closing up. It appears that my high allergies to coastal grass causes an unnoticed swelling of the eustation tubes until after I have a dive or two. I've practiced the nasal spray preventative since beginning scuba diving.
Am currently on two allergy medication, both long term. One is a nasal spray and the other a replacement to weekly shots, an under the tongue daily administration. Due to travel over the year getting weekly shots is difficult when away a month at a time. Have had an ear infection since trip to Florida in Dec. 2011 (it's currently May). Due to various reasons, every dive trip I've attempted the last eight months has been canceled. Only once due to my ear problems Twice when already out to sea and was turned around due to condition at site. One was a live aboard in the Florida Keys which I had to cancel due to sinus problem. Have two major trips planned in the next two months and not sure if I should cancel and just give up diving. Preference for diving is open sea, wreck and night diving. I live in the North Carolina mountains and have had no problems.
Am hoping to spend much of next winter in Florida and want to do some extensive diving.
Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated. Scuba diving is the fulfillment of a 40 year dream and I don't want to give it up due to something like allergies.
Robert, A Diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom