Allianz "Trip Insurance" - Merry Xmas & Screw you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually get travel insurance through World Nomads. The price is reasonable and they seem legit, though I've yet to actually file a claim.

For the liveaboard in Komodo this year, I booked through PADI Travel, which provides free Dive Assure for the duration of the liveaboard, for any liveaboard over $1000 USD. Since I was going to do more diving beyond the liveaboard, I got DAN Guardian insurance as well. When I inquired PADI Travel about the Dive Assure, they suggested that I /not/ get it, even free, since I already have DAN. The rationale was that with Primary and Secondary insurance language, i.e. fine print, it was going to get confusing as to who is supposed to pay out. In the end, they still issued the Dive Assure (due to other staff not reading the entire email conversation), so I was double covered, and thankfully I didn't need to file a claim for either.

Try CAA. I was able to insure my Aquacat trip. (To be honest, IIRC, I bought insurance for a trip valued at $XXXX and they would reimburse the insured amount. It didn't matter whether it was a LOB, or a hotel. They simply based their premiums on what they would have to pay out if the trip was cancelled.)

Did you have to provide documentation to show what you'd purchased?

I usually get travel insurance through World Nomads. The price is reasonable and they seem legit, though I've yet to actually file a claim.

For the liveaboard in Komodo this year, I booked through PADI Travel, which provides free Dive Assure for the duration of the liveaboard, for any liveaboard over $1000 USD. Since I was going to do more diving beyond the liveaboard, I got DAN Guardian insurance as well. When I inquired PADI Travel about the Dive Assure, they suggested that I /not/ get it, even free, since I already have DAN. The rationale was that with Primary and Secondary insurance language, i.e. fine print, it was going to get confusing as to who is supposed to pay out. In the end, they still issued the Dive Assure (due to other staff not reading the entire email conversation), so I was double covered, and thankfully I didn't need to file a claim for either.

Yes, it can get confusing but I think the insurance companies will be tasked to duke it out, not you.

I have 3x medical / accident insurance: work, credit card, DAN, and sometimes the free one due to buying LOB. Yup, work and credit card insurance told me they’d cover recreational scuba.

Yes, it can get confusing but I think the insurance companies will be tasked to duke it out, not you.

I have 3x medical / accident insurance: work, credit card, DAN, and sometimes the free one due to buying LOB. Yup, work and credit card insurance told me they’d cover recreational scuba.

Thats true, better to be over insured, than under-insured. My impression was that Dive Assure (primary) would pay first, and DAN (secondary) would pick up the slack.

Thats true, better to be over insured, than under-insured. My impression was that Dive Assure (primary) would pay first, and DAN (secondary) would pick up the slack.

I’ve never made a claim where there were multiple insurance companies involved, but I know there’s this thing called “coordination of benefits”. When I fill out a claim form, the form will ask me if this claim is also covered under another policy. I suspect that the first company will somehow work it out with the other insurance company regarding who pays what. If I were in a dive accident, I’d call DAN first, despite having Dive Assure or other insurance that may cover it. I just trust DAN to know exactly what to do, recommend the proper treatment and facility.

I’ve never made a claim where there were multiple insurance companies involved, but I know there’s this thing called “coordination of benefits”. When I fill out a claim form, the form will ask me if this claim is also covered under another policy. I suspect that the first company will somehow work it out with the other insurance company regarding who pays what. If I were in a dive accident, I’d call DAN first, despite having Dive Assure or other insurance that may cover it. I just trust DAN to know exactly what to do, recommend the proper treatment and facility.

I think this is the confusing part, who to contact first. For my normal health insurance, if it's an ambulance situation, then they'll cover going to any hospital, but if there is a choice, I somehow need to let them make the call on the hospital or I'm responsible for charges.

Did you have to provide documentation to show what you'd purchased?
I don't think so.

I think I just explained that I was concerned about the possibility of a hurricane and asked if their insurance covered it. (Their insurance did offer that as an option.) They asked how much the trip was and I told them about $3500 (I was arriving in Nassau a few days early and diving with Stuart Cove.) and they said OK, that will be $XXX. (I think it was about $200.) I went on the trip, so I have no idea what (or if) they would have paid out. I probably would have had to have provided receipts if I was looking to collect.

We always purchase the Allianz annual travel policy. A few years ago Cyclone Winston hit Fiji when we were supposed to leave for Namena Island Resort. The resort returned our money since it was totally destroyed. We filed a claim with Allianz to cover the cost of our tickets in Fiji Airlines. Provided the required documentation, and they paid immediately. No problems with Allianz.

We always purchase the Allianz annual travel policy. A few years ago Cyclone Winston hit Fiji when we were supposed to leave for Namena Island Resort. The resort returned our money since it was totally destroyed. We filed a claim with Allianz to cover the cost of our tickets in Fiji Airlines. Provided the required documentation, and they paid immediately. No problems with Allianz.

Seems like they only covered your flights. Had the resort not refunded would they have paid? I have my doubts. Better read the small (tiny/hidden) print.

I'll put in a +1 for World Nomads.

I had one day or blue shark diving cancelled this summer due to the weather. Put in a claim with WN and they fully covered the cost of said diving ($350).

Back
Top Bottom