Almost a lobster... but

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mambo Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Need some help ID'ing here

http://home.comcast.net/~benjaminpell3/Images/1.jpg

When I was looking at this critter, I was a little apprehensive to call it a lobster as the only lobster I know of in south Florida is the spiny lobster.

This guy did have a lobster's tail, but he had a flatter, wider body that tapered out to a ridge on each side (like a cross-section of the SR-71 Blackbird's fuselage just front of the wings), obviously shorter, thicker (stumpier) legs, the purple antennae you see here instead of the dual long stalks, and he certainly wasn't hiding like a spiny lobster would - he was attached to the side of a sponge.

His size was that of a spiny lobster though.

Thanks!

Thank you.

I've only ever seen one, so I don't plan on catching them even if I do see them, but I just read that there is no closed season on the shovelnose. Are they good eatin'? Are they plentiful in certain locales?

Also known as a spanish lobster

Mambo Dave:
Thank you.

I've only ever seen one, so I don't plan on catching them even if I do see them, but I just read that there is no closed season on the shovelnose. Are they good eatin'? Are they plentiful in certain locales?

They are absolutely delicious! I had my first one last year. I like you was wondering what the heck it was. I was told they are difficult to spot, uh yeah, but very good eating and that it was. :D they had one other name beside shovelnose I can't think of now (shovelnose is the most popular).

Thanks Missdirected - now don't feel so embarrassed about my lobster ID'ing skills. Thanks all, too - I've reconsidered.

Now that I'm on the hunt, can someone tell me if the typical 'Spiny' measuring guage is what we're supposed to use on Shovelnose in FL?

It feels strange to hunt for something that is so slow, but if they taste that good then I'll just have to try out at least one for myself. I wonder how they evolved to be so slow, and how they continue to thrive in the oceans?

Best,

MD

Yes, thay have been found in Fl. I had a diver on a dive boat brang one up. He did not have a lobster lisens and the dm made him let it go.

Back
Top Bottom