Almost a lobster... but

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mambo Dave:
Thanks Missdirected - now don't feel so embarrassed about my lobster ID'ing skills. Thanks all, too - I've reconsidered.

Now that I'm on the hunt, can someone tell me if the typical 'Spiny' measuring guage is what we're supposed to use on Shovelnose in FL?

It feels strange to hunt for something that is so slow, but if they taste that good then I'll just have to try out at least one for myself. I wonder how they evolved to be so slow, and how they continue to thrive in the oceans?

Best,

MD

They hide really well. From my understanding, per the captain and DM, this is why there are no restrictions. I still can't think of that other name (besides slipper). It was something like dinosaur. Google to find out about the size.

We brought up a spiny and a shovel that day. Immediately cooked both. The shovel was much sweeter, very nice.

By the way, that was West Palm where I got him.

They are plumb good -- especially next to nice little snapper and grouper filet.

DSCF0264.jpg

Florabama:
They are plumb good -- especially next to nice little snapper and grouper filet.

DSCF0264.jpg

When is dinner :)

Missdirected:
I still can't think of that other name (besides slipper). It was something like dinosaur.

Never heard of a name like a dinosaur for them. They are often called shovelnose, slipper and bulldozer.

Not disnosaur but something pre-histroic.
Walter:
Never heard of a name like a dinosaur for them. They are often called shovelnose, slipper and bulldozer.

Not disnosaur, but something pre-histroic. You know it is one of those things that is going to drive me nuts now. Thanks a whole lot Dave!

Mambo Dave:
Thanks Missdirected - now don't feel so embarrassed about my lobster ID'ing skills. Thanks all, too - I've reconsidered.

Now that I'm on the hunt, can someone tell me if the typical 'Spiny' measuring guage is what we're supposed to use on Shovelnose in FL?

It feels strange to hunt for something that is so slow, but if they taste that good then I'll just have to try out at least one for myself. I wonder how they evolved to be so slow, and how they continue to thrive in the oceans?

Best,

MD

No gauge necessary, no size restrictions or closed season, just can't take an egg bearing females.

Missdirected:
When is dinner :)

Unfortunately, those are long gone. That pic is from last year. Haven't had a chance to get out so far this year, but will keep you posted:D

LOL, sorry to kick up y'alls taste buds.

There was so much stuff growing on that shovelnose I figured he was either dead or super-old and not healthy. I now realize that's probably going to be the norm if all they do is move slowly and hang under coral.

Mambo Dave:
LOL, sorry to kick up y'alls taste buds.

There was so much stuff growing on that shovelnose I figured he was either dead or super-old and not healthy. I now realize that's probably going to be the norm if all they do is move slowly and hang under coral.

I still can't think of that other name. The bugs name is bugging me :)

Missdirected:
By the way, that was West Palm where I got him.
It's tough to find anything offshore with all these carpetdivebaggers trekking over here from the hinterlands of Florida and plundering Palm Beach county.
Bad enough with the open border we have with Broward county.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom