Almost complete? Just starting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same here, plodding along. We put off the Physics test last Thursday, twebba and I simply weren't ready for it. So, this coming Thursday we have the RDP and Physics tests... we were told to bring all our paperwork, we should be ready to submit it all to PADI - then, woohoo! Finally the card!

GAAAAAAH! :D

I'm sure some people, perhaps even most, get to gradually work their way into things. For some reason, I've never been one of them. Instead, I'm the person who is backstage working on a minor prop when someone walks up and shoves me through the curtain to do an unrehearsed monologue. (Usually it's with a whispered, "Good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine.") It was that way when I became a sound guy (they didn't even show me the board first! They just told me where it was and that I'd figure it out). It was that way in drama productions (I had my first major part in a school play when a guy just wasn't working out -- he'd had months to learn it; I had a week). It was that way in wedding photography (hehe... I still have a twitch, but they loved my work).

Naturally, it's been like that with diving, too, so it wasn't too surprising when the assistant for the class last night couldn't make due to being rather sick. I got the five minute backgrounder and had to wing it. I dropped a few balls, but I apparently did a passable juggling act for an uninitiated first timer. If only that was all...

So, I was trying to keep all the required student paperwork in my head while getting BCs and wetsuits for trying on and just trying to keep my head from spinning *too* rapidly, when the instructor (who I hadn't met prior to yesterday evening) asks me where I am in the DM course. I checked the door calendar and noted where we started and what we'd done. Then the fun part. He said I should pick a section to teach the class, although I could refuse if I so chose.

Needless to say, I was a bit blindsided. We haven't even done our in-the-privacy-of-the-DM-class practice presentations yet! I just basically did the deer-in-headlights thing and continued helping students try things on (as my brain curled up in a rather terrified fetal position). It was right about then that the Course Director who runs the shop and who is the lead instructor on our DM class came by. The instructor told him that he'd like me to do a section, if we felt I was capable, and the CD enthusiastically agreed.

Long story short, I chose the NAUI dive tables, as I've helped many students learn them (and they are very well defined -- you know exactly what you need to convey, so it's relatively straightforward to prepare). I have a full two evenings to get my act together. :biggrin:

(On the way to the shop, I stopped by the store and picked up a dozen or so pens, some paper, and such. Sure enough, someone absconded with my first lent pen last night. :D)

Well, I finished my teaching notes this evening and proceeded to teach the cat dive tables... twice. :biggrin:

(I didn't get much class participation, but she did pay attention and didn't yawn... for a cat, that's something, eh? :D)

Ah, the last of the theory classes and the last couple of exams are on Sunday. It's been a pretty hectic few months and it will be nice to finally get the theory section of the course finished.

Now, just to get all the skills up to demonstration level, get the map done and do work experience on all the courses.

That should take me up to the end of summer...

Just stumbled in here. Hi Everyone! I'm about a third of the way through the academic and performance/skill requirements for PADI DM. Did the 400 swim and 800 snorkle tonight and logged times of 9:12 and 16:15 respectively, which I'm pretty happy with. Already did the tread and tow, so I'm done with the stamina requirements. The 400 was hard and wiped me out for about 15 minutes after. But then I recovered and did the snorkle and it was fun and pretty easy.

I've helped with a few classes so far, one in Monterey in open water, and the other in a pool class. Haven't done anything really embarassing yet, but there's still plent of time for that.

Taking the physics test and a few others this week, but feel pretty confident. Hope to get in the Rescue Assessment this wekend.

It's a busy time.

Phew, passed the last exam last night, so that's all the theory out the way now. Also did a Scuba Review (well, not an official one) for a couple of club members who hadn't dived for a while. Just need to try and find some time to get the underwater map done now.

It was a big weekend of progress for me. On Saturday I assisted with an OW class all the way through, including organizing paperwork, assembling gear, and assisting in all the pool work (briefed and demonstrated a few skills and kept at least one student from getting discouraged halfway through).

Then today I passed the rescue assessment, got checked off and graded on about half a dozen skills, and did the buddy-breathing equimpent exchange. I had a really focused and reliable buddy so it was really not a big deal at all, though a few past instances of buddy-breathing have made me agree that it is really not a desirable option.

And I passed the physics exam, missing one stupid easy question that I somehow misread.

Two more exams and I'm through the academic stuff. A couple more skills and I'll be through the pool work with nothing left but the rest on my internship.. Really having fun so far. And it is so good to have the physics test and equiment exchange behind me.

90 percent done with Naui DM. Just need to finish training for and perform the 450 yard swim, "conduct" my final dive, do the 100 yard diver tow, the 50 yard swimmer tow, the U/W mask exchange/buddy breathing, and the skin diver rescue. I had hoped to do everything except the 450 today at the lake, but it was brutally windy, and cold, and not possible.

Finally starting academic tonight... Although I have through chapter 4 in the DM manual, and Physics portion of Encyclopedia, My instructor hasn't had the time to sit down with me and go over the information. Target for completion is May - I have been doing "practical" training since last fall, so helping with OW students is not something new for me.

Taken three tests so far and the 400, 800, tired diver tow, and 15 minute tread (hated that one, I float like a rock!) Start physics on Wed. My Course Director wants to have everything finished by first of April (we only meet on Wed nights.) and go right into the IDC and take the IE in May. I will be glad to do it al at once while the academics are still fresh.:D

Back
Top Bottom