Aloha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Deep

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Aloha, I just moved to Oahu August 2019
. I am super excited to be here, so fortunate. I started diving just before medical school and now that I am just finished with residency I want to get into ocean conservation and marine wildlife projects. We humans are so fortunate to be alive during this time when all life on earth is in a balancing act, specifically with the oceans. It may not be here much longer...

I am an advanced PADI diver. So far I only dive for recreational purposes; +100 dives, mostly in Roatan, Catalina, and Oahu. Huge thanks to my Stepfather Randy Benham Master Diver/Owner at Island Dive Center, (West End, Roatan Honduras) to thank for getting me started on this wild journey.

This week I just bought a like-new XS PonyPac BC works great! Yesterday did a great boat dive YO-257 and San Pedro Wrecks. I also got three old XS branded tanks (2012), sherwood trek split fins, sherwood BRUT 1st stage chrome regulator with an old BRUT mouthpiece, old scubapro 2nd stage, LPI and SPG for $140. I think the BC alone was worth it, but the sherwood chrome 1st stage is probably a diamond in the rough!

I joined this forum because I want to meet some good people.

PM me if you can teach me how to service this regulator.
IMG_5343.JPGIMG_5344.JPG

Welcome!

I'm pretty sure I did a morning dive boat with your stepfathers shop in Roatan! Small world! It was a great dive, so pass the thanks along :p

I'm new to the form so maybe someone with more wisdom and experience will chime in, but I would 100% recommend taking any bought-used gear to your local dive shop for service. Their knowledge and experience cannot be over looked. That's not to say that you can't do your own basic cleanings (opening up the ring, remove the purge button and diaphragm and cleaning it all out, being very careful with the diaphragm), but for a quality servicing on new-to-you-used-gear absolutely take it to your LDS,

Welcome!

If you want to work on your own gear, which I enjoy, you’ll most likely want to look at Vance Harlow’s regulator book at airspeedpress.com, and Regulator Savvy on amazon or scuba tools.com. Also look at vintage double hose.com. They have several really helpful videos.

Go slow. Be methodical and diligent. It is a great way to link some diving fun with the surface intervals that can be too long.

Welcome and Mahalo for joining our forum. It's a wonderful place to learn about diving. Great people here.

Welcome!

I'm pretty sure I did a morning dive boat with your stepfathers shop in Roatan! Small world! It was a great dive, so pass the thanks along :p

I'm new to the form so maybe someone with more wisdom and experience will chime in, but I would 100% recommend taking any bought-used gear to your local dive shop for service. Their knowledge and experience cannot be over looked. That's not to say that you can't do your own basic cleanings (opening up the ring, remove the purge button and diaphragm and cleaning it all out, being very careful with the diaphragm), but for a quality servicing on new-to-you-used-gear absolutely take it to your LDS,
It is a small world! Also, there's no place in the world like Roatan.

@txgoose thanks, I'll check out those guides and I'll take it to my LDS.

@grantwiscour I joined the Honolulu Dive Club so hopefully, I will meet some local divers too!

@Compressor so far I'm impressed!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom