Alor, Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Santa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to Alor for the better part of july and august - and I'm planning to stay on a small island called Petit Keba in the middle of the strait, close to Pura. It's a lowkey french-owned operation - Cedric and Anne the owners are called - one of only few landbased operators on Alor.

Have you dived Alor, either from live-aboard or one of the resorts - what was your impression of the place?

Did you actually stay with any of the operators - what was the service/people like, (mainly divewise - I don't care much about where I sleep and what I eat as long as the diving is great)?

Any feedback - rumors or anything is welcome. It seems to me that Alor is still one of the more forgotten parts of Indonesia, which is why I'm going, but that in turn makes it hard to get info beyond what the local government, and the resorts themselves promote.

I know, though that there are frequent liveaboards from Bali, Maumere, Kupang and several other "nearby" locations - so there's bound to be one of you guys who's been.

will do.

I know it's gonna be very basic as it's one of the poorest parts of indonesia, but then from a cultural and divingh point of view that could turn out to be a boon. Of course the closest recompression chamber is in Bali, but there you go.

For a while I was thinking about going on a liveaboard with grand komodo, because the LDS I work for use them from time to time. BUt it's just way cheaper to do it the other way and ever so often local guys know the sites and tides better i find - which is probably a good thing in a current-riddled strait like on alor.

thanks for the link. Better get back to work.

Will the wonders ever cease ;0)?

Cheers

Some useful info if you browse this website: http://www.alor-island.com/

I stayed at Kepa - really nice and low key. No one speaks much english, so take a Bahasa Indonesian phrasebook (though some people don't even speak that language). Go snorkelling in the shallow, coral rubble area right in front of the resort in late afternoon time - lots and lots of blacktip sharks!

Yeah I've been all over the local websites. How about the staff the resort - hopefully at least the french guys speak a bit of english - or I will have to see what Bahasa I can remember. It won't be much I'm afraid ;0)

How long did you stay - and did you go diving too?

When I was there Cedric and Anne were not around, just the local staff: Bibi Nene, Bapak Sere and Murksim, who were great - very cheerful and friendly.

I stayed about a week, and did no diving, mostly I was chilling and snorkelling and chatting with some of the other guests.

If you're passing through Kupang you might whant to check out the Lavalon Bar, run by Edwin, who serves very nice, ice cold beer! He also has a useful website, with ferry/flight info: http://www.lavalontourist.info/ Have fun...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom