Alpha Flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USMCNJ

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just bought at Alfa dive flag and i am excited to use it. i think it will be different and a conversation starter with other divers. i will be using this for shore dives with very little boat traffic. i just think this will be a unique flag that will get some questions and laughs. :D

Alfa is not appropriate for use on a shore dive. It has meaning only when flown from a boat.

The Alpha flag is meant to indicate that a vessel is unable to move/maneuver as far as I know and this is irrelevant to diving from shore. You need to check with the local authority and/or Coast Guard.

It's the international diver down flag, meant to stay x-meters/yards away from the flag due to divers or other RAM activities, speed trials, subs, etc and also to indicate a no wake zone within x-distance. Depends on the territory it's being used in, but usually 100-150 feet for no travel.

Only really carries meaning in international waters and on shore dives etc, you have to have the US Dive Flag. It also indicates the vessel is RAM.

The Diverdown flag is also required to be shown either on the boat or in the water near the dive site, has a no wake zone and a no travel zone that also varies by state... Again usually 100-150 feet of no travel

Just make sure you have the red flag flying with it. I think 50feet is the no travel in NJ, 100ft in New York. In NY it's either or in the state waters from a boat. Rules here in NC are VERY strict and quite clear, not so much where you are. ALPHA flags aren't a substitution for the red flag in state waters, so if you fly the ALPHA flag you have to fly the other one simultaneously. Best of luck, and safe diving

The america red/whit flag thing has absolutely no legal meaning (or training) anywhere in the world outside north america. In all those places its the blue and white alpha flag.
Technically its a boating flag meaning restricted manoeuvring and maintain a safe distance but its also officially used to denote diving activities. It is used from shore as well (in that some buildings even fly it when divers are working off them).

Alpha may not be that useful in the USA but go outside that area and the red/white thing is pointless, worthless and meaningless.

Fly a red/white thing here and a boat can happily run you over without breaking any rules. Fly an alpha flag and the same thing happens that boat is in serious trouble!

Hmmmm.. How would a diver with a Alpha flag be considered restricted in her ability to maneuver??? Only a vessel should show such flags. It is recognized both in inland and International waters, so if anyone says it is not used in the US they don't know what their talking about.

Rule 27 (e) found in the "U.S." Department of Homeland Security United States Coast Guard Navigation Rules states, "Whenever the size of a vessel engaged in diving operations makes it impracticable to exhibit all lights and shapes prescribed in paragraph (d) of this Rule, the following shall be exhibited:
(i) three all-round lights in a vertical line where they can best be seen. The highest and lowest of these lights shall be red and the middle light shall be white;
(ii) a rigid replica of the International Code flag "A" not less than 1 meter in height. Measures shall be taken to ensure its all-round visibility.

I think most dive boats around here "South West Florida" should be "exhibiting" this flag, tho many do not. Whats the use right? Most boaters around here don't even know what a dive flag looks like!

Alpha flags go with the boat not a swimmer or diver. Use is covered in COLREGs

Local laws govern use of diver flags.

I am a commercial diver, but always fly both flags, this way im covering myself, God forbid something does happen, they have no way of saying " i didnt know what that flag meant ". They still could, but by myself and my company using both, its less likely that if we were following correct protocol that we would be at fault..Hopefully..

Alfa is not appropriate for use on a shore dive. It has meaning only when flown from a boat.

Actually the meaning for the Alfa flag was spelled out in the International Code of Signals (pub102) way before it was incorporated into the COLREGS. The code states that a signal may be made by any station which is defined as "a ship, aircraft, survival craft, or any place at which communications can be effected by any means. " Alfa definitely does have a meaning when flown from a station other than a boat. It is common to see it flown on a pier at Naval bases if divers are working from the pier.

Does the US Navy use a red and white diver down flag? Canadian ships don't

Back
Top Bottom