Alternative to Atlantis Dumaguete?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cephalopod2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looking at returning to the Philippines this spring, possibly Dumaguete area. Atlantis gets good press but this will be a solo trip and their single supplement is irking me. AI is also not my preferred meal plan.

Anyone got a good alternative to Atlantis Dumaguete - hotel or dive op? I stayed in Exotic in Malapascua in 2007 - something like that would be great. Excellent dive op integrated with Western standard hotel, meals a la carte. I stayed at Liberty's on Apo Island itself in 07 and while I loved the dive op, fellow guests and ability to dive Apo all the time, I'm feeling a bit too old for 2 weeks without hot showers. I will likely have two weeks.

This is a short trip, so I don't want to spend too much time in domestic transit unless there is a large diving payoff. 3-4 land-based dives a day is fine by me. Heard good murmurs about South Leyte but I think too many connections for this trip.

Not persuaded on Tubbataha but open to other locations.

Suggestions? Thanks very much.

I will be at Liquid Dumaguete in three weeks. Has had good reviews and so far the email exchanges have given me a good feeling. We will see.

Dumaguete is definitely a good choice from the standpoint of limited transfer time...just fly in and 20 minutes by car and you're there. You might want to double check your information on Atlantis..I've stayed there (or in PG) a combined 4 times and have never been charged a single supplement. As to meals, their food is outstanding...the area is fairly isolated so if you stay at a place with a la carte you're likely going to be stuck eating at the resort anyway. Another great thing about Atlantis is their unlimited dive program..you can get in 5 dives per day if you want..I highly recommend them.

Liquid is not really a la carte eating. But still an excellent choice. Mike's might be a better bet if that's a deal breaker for you. Both offer "western" style setup.

You might want to double check your information on Atlantis..I've stayed there (or in PG) a combined 4 times and have never been charged a single supplement.

OC1 the resort doesn't tell you their quote includes a single supplement, but they broke it out when I asked them to. They absolutely charge more if only one person is using the room, which is what I would call a supplement. My quote is from this week so very current (and a travel agent here quoted me exactly the same rates). Many resorts charge one I know, but they irk me on principle.

Thanks for the other info. If I reconsider I will check for TRs here.

Is anyone concerned about the weather for diving the Philippines in March? Peter's Dive Resort website says there's a lot of rain in Jan and Feb. Any region I should avoid, or a place that's best in March?

Last edited by a moderator:
Atlantis PG are probably the most expensive resort in PG.

March should be fine in Philippines, April / May is definitely drier but it can still rain then too.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions so far - I will be looking them all up this week.

A friend suggest Sogod Bay (Leyte) - it looks like that would require a special domestic flight to Tacloban, or fly to Cebu, plus public ferry, plus drive. Has anyone flown to Tacloban?

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 for Pura Vida......We were there in late Oct '12, very nice........pics/videos from Dumaguete(Pura Vida) are here, all have Dumaguete in their set titles...all are on 1st row, 4 of them I believe...

GEAUXtiger's photosets on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom