Alternative to YS-250 Pro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A buddy of mine just got a pair of used YS-250 Pro strobes.

He showed me how fast they will shoot (at 1/2 power, anyway). My Inon Z240s will not cycle nearly that fast (I don't think!).

They are discontinued. Are there any current model strobes that are as bright and will shoot (recycle) as fast as the YS-250?

The 250 has a built-in rechargeable battery pack that supposedly is what allows it to cycle so quickly. My strobes take AAs. I use rechargeables.

Yes, I realize it's a $1K strobe.

So, are there any current strobes as bright and that cycle as fast as the YS-250?

Thanks, JC!

You're pretty battery savvy. Which NiMh are you using? You want something with low resistance that will support higher current draw. Of course you can only charge as fast as the device will allow.
I had some high capacity NiMh (Ansmann 2750). A couple years old and they could barely cycle the strobe with a fresh charge. Internal resistance had gone very high.

The rechargeable pack in the 250 has just got to be a NiMh pack of 'normal' (probably very good) NiMh batteries. It might be soldered together so have a somewhat lower overall resistance, at least to start. Trouble is.....when it dies you are going to be hurt badly replacing it, probably 10x the value of the batteries.
Yep, looked it up; ~ $100-125 (now discontinued as is the strobe). Stupid charger is over $200....it's a NiMh charger fercrisake. Rip off.

The D2 is pretty nice and has a fairly fast recycle.

Do not be mesmerized by half power rapid fire. All (most, many) strobes can deliver multiple flashes per second at half power. My ys110s can easily keep up with my G16's 12fps at half power. Full power, not so much.

Do you need raw power or rapid cycle? Or both?

I've been using Panasonic Eneloop Pros in my YS-D2s with good results. Quick recycle time and generally more capacity than I can use in a day of diving. For what it's worth, they're the same batteries I use topside for my off camera flashes.

The 250 has a built-in rechargeable battery pack that supposedly is what allows it to cycle so quickly. My strobes take AAs. I use rechargeables.

Yes, I realize it's a $1K strobe.

So, are there any current strobes as bright and that cycle as fast as the YS-250?

Yes but which specific rechargable? they are not all created equal, specifically INON recommend Eneloop or Eneloop Pro batteries as they have the low internal resistance needed. I use Imedion Ni-MH batteries they also have the low internal resistance required, are on the list of recommended batteries for the Z-240 and perform well for me. I believe this also helps the strobe run cooler (resistance makes heat when current is running) My Z-240s will take multiple repeat shots when set at 8 on the manual setting and I have not had a problem with them. I am using single shot on the camera, not multi frame/second continuous shooting.

Back
Top Bottom