Altitude Diving Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy a set of altitude tables. Costs about ten bucks. Not much more you need to know other than allowing yourself to acclimate to the altitude for an hour or so for each thousand feet of elevation to be conservative. And slow down setting up and tearing down. Safety stops will be done shallower in relation to the elevation. Seriously save your money. There is not much to it. Where do you plan on diving at altitude? Not a lot of places in NE to do it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Buy a set of altitude tables. Costs about ten bucks.

I can save myself the $10 and make my own tables specific for this (or any) lake using Excel. I understand the math behind it, so I'm not worried about that.

I'll be up at Mooselookmeguntic in Maine, elevation 1,467 ft. The actual changes at that elevation and my expected depths (40-60 ft.) are meaningless compared to my air usage.

Is the consensus that the certification is just an expensive repackaging of the algebra?

Pretty much. If you are only going to be at 1400 ft I see no need for the course. Around here dives are routinely done at one location that is 3500 rounded up to 4000. Most of the shops use that as an altititude dive in the AOW course. Which is pretty stupid as all the dives are done at that altitude. Including the students OW checkout dives! I just go over the tables and the math during the table portions of my OW course. No need for a separate course.
Unless you are talking about Rocky Mountain lakes a mile or more up or diving in the Andes the altitude course is not going to do much more than lighten your wallet for something that can be covered in an extra fifteen minutes in the OW class or by reading any number of free resources on altitude diving. IMO.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom