Aluminum backplate durability question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glbirch

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, I'm currently diving a SS back-plate. Basic Halcyon Eclipse. I want a lighter option for warm water. Aluminum back-plate like the one from HOG looks like the best bet for me. (I like the 'skeleton' travel one that oxycheq sells but I'd lose my Halcyon storage pack.)

Aluminum being less robust than steel, I'm wondering if anyone's ever had one get bent from abuse? Dropped tank, accidental impact, etc.

with the same care you would give the steel the al holds up just fine. the options are there for the weight. yes steel is stronger but the stregnth differences are not a factor in the environment you are using or miss using them in. Kydex may be something else but like the al plate i have not had problems with it either.

Been using an AL halcyon plate on my double 130s to cut the weight of the rig some, no signs of wear, bending from impacts, etc. Haven't dropped a stage bottle or anything on it yet, though.

if you want lightweight, go with titanium backplate. you might have to fabricate one from one of those pentag0n toilets though.

Steel is used for the weight, and perhaps for its resistance to corrosion, not for its strength. A backplate really doesn't have to withstand a lot of stress. Aluminum will work fine, as would plastic.

i believe most al backplates are 6061. at least mine are. they will hold up great. if it is abused, cylinders dropped on it etc, then yes you may have some bending, but unlike with stainless, you can work on the aluminum with tools most people will have around the house.

It has been posted on here that the OMS Al plate is very close to Halcyon design and the holes of the MC pack will match up with it.

Thanks all for the replies, looks like I be ordering an aluminium backplate. Crazy brand options these days, HOG, DiveRite, and OMS seem to be the ones that are easier for me to get my hands on. Of those the HOG looks nice, just need to confirm the specs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom