Always water in my mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stretch47

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the process of 0W certification. I purchased a mask that seems to fit, from a reputable dive shop. I am swimming snorkel laps in the pool just to get comfortable. My mask, no matter how many times I clear it, always has a little bit of water on both sides at the bottom.

Is the mask ill fitting? Am I doing something incorrectly?

Thanks for your help.

For fit, I assume you did the dry face suction test.

Does the water get in while swimming and increase in volume over time?

Make sure there isn't hair in the seal.

Also, try loosening the straps. Apparently having the straps too tight can be bad for the seal.

It could be the mask. Also, make sure you're not exhaling through your nose. And, make sure the mask strap isn't too tight. It should just barely hold the mask on the head, plus a tiny bit tighter so that it won't get kicked or pushed off. Most new divers put the mask strap way too tight.
Also, make sure no hair is under the skirt, which can effect the seal.
It will probably be better below the surface, too as the water pressure will make a better seal.

A few things:

You might be wearing the mask too tightly. Try loosening the strap to see if that helps. (It seems counter intuitive, but it also works.)

How did you test the fit? Step 3 in this wiki is super important:

http://m.wikihow.com/Fit-a-Scuba-Diving-Mask

Do you have a mustache? If so, try clippering it or use a little silicon grease to help create a seal.

---------- Post added September 2nd, 2013 at 11:32 AM ----------

Yeah, what we all just said. : )

Also play around with where the strap rests on the back of your head. the Sweet spot may be lower than you expect.

How little is little? I you are cranking laps in a pool it may just be perspiration condensing and pooling at the bottom, just as it should. If so just clear in occasionally and move on.

Pete

This may sound silly but try shaking the water out of your mask more vigorously before putting it on. Mine retains a surprising amount of water if it's just inverted briefly, and has to be really shaken hard to avoid a symptom much like yours.

Since you said it fits well (the sucking thing), water shouldn't always get in, though I believe that some people have faces that aren't good for a good seal. Sometimes I find that water gets in no matter what. Other times not a drop. I attribute that to I must be slightly exhaling through the nose, but find that hard to believe as I think my airway control is pretty flawless-- also, no POSSIBLE way my HAIR is the problem (have very little of that). Maybe try other masks on a dive-- borrow one, etc. Same thing with fogging--sometimes yes, most times no-- shouldn't always happen.

Some people get a MAJOR alteration in the shape and mask fit potential of their face, when they put a snorkel or 2nd stage reg in their mouth.....
So after you try the other good advice your have already heard in this thread....try bringing a snorkel with large mouthpiece and then trying on different masks to see if some will be better than others with your mouth holding the snorkel/2nd stage mouthpices....

Also, I have always found people with narrow, low-fat faces, do better with Freedive Shop mask selections, as the customer base is predominantly lean, as opposed to predominantly overweight as in scuba diving. Narrow lean faces require different masks than do fat faces :)

Repeat - deleted

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom