Always water in my mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I often have issues with sunscreen also... if I have a lot of sunscreen on my mask just doesn't seal well. I have to clean the skirt of my mask and really get my face cleaned off before I can get a really good seal.

Thanks so much for all the help.
II definitely have my mask too tight. I keep making it tighter to avoid the water in my mask. When I purchased it, it fit very well. It holds a seal when I wear it dry. I will try today loosening the straps quite a bit.

Again, this is a newbie problem, and I thank you for all your help.

There will always be some water in a mask. So unless it floods every minute, don't sweat it.

I'll start a war and suggest a higher volume mask so your nose isn't sitting in the water, and one with a purge valve so the water tends to go out. After 30 years of diving I still prefer those.

Ha ha ha. It's really funny. I loosened my mask this morning, did 100 laps and No Water. (A little nose bubbling).

This is a newbie mistake. I hope others can learn from it.

Thanks again for all the help

Ditto to all of the above, with one addition - whenever I apply sun screen or face lotion shortly before diving, it breaks the seal as soon as it gets wet. (I've learned not to do this any more but sometimes forget!) Wipe a dry towel over your face before putting your mask on so that lotions / oils won't combine with the water and make your mask slip around.

Definitely try it with your mouth over a reg as another poster suggested - lotion will make it slide up to your nose and break the seal depending on your face / mask. I've had one with a particularly low skirt for my face, and it would always push up as soon as I put my reg in.

Hope some of this helps - good luck!

The other point to make is that, once you DO have water in your mask, it's virtually impossible to clear every bit of it out. You almost always will end up with a small amount of water sloshing around in the nose pocket. A mask that stays dry can be completely dry, but a mask which has leaked is not going to be dry, even if you fix the problem that led to the leak.

Facial Hair could be problem too... handle bar moustache and a good seal can not co exist in the diving world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom